Say Yes To The Prom Dress! Recommendations for this Year

Shea McIntyre

Class of 2022 students who, despite no Prom, dressed up! The varying colors and silhouettes are still on trend for this year’s Prom.

Ellie Hamashima and Shea McIntyre

What’s crackin’, Falcons? The 2022 Green Hope Prom is on Saturday, April 30th and is Disco themed! It is from 8:00pm-11:30pm, located at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel in Durham! Click here to purchase tickets. 

With the specifics finally being announced, the countdown to Prom has begun! Feelings of excitement, nervousness, and anticipation relating to this special event are circling throughout campus.  

For some students, the closeness of April 30th is a rude awakening, and the one thing on their mind is: “What will I wear?!” And yes, this is a crucial question! Prom, especially Senior Prom, is an exciting day romanticized by coming-of-age media. *Queue High School Musical soundtrack*

With the rise of individuality, out-of-the-box trends, and social media influence, there are more inspirations for prom attire than ever before. Choices are infinite, and it can be a little overwhelming! If you are struggling to decide what to wear to this year’s prom, keep reading.

If your issue is not knowing what style you want, here are our personal favorites for this year!

Shea’s Favorite Trends: I really love the popular cowl neckline lots of stores introduced last year. I think it’s playful and flattering for any body type. I also love all the color possibilities available. You can never go wrong with a classic black dress, but there are so many fun options to coordinate with the season including pastels and pretty metallics.

If your issue is where to shop, here are our known hotspots!

Online options → 

Princess Polly

REVOLVE

Superdown

House of CB

Windsor

Lucy in the Sky

Oh Polly

Revolve is a clothing hub full of brands for you to explore. With such a diverse and wide range of clothing being sold on the site, you can really see all the different vibes and styles available to you! Revolve has a plethora of boho, modest, sparkly, high-low, and silky dresses if any of those are what you want. Another plus, Revolve has a great return policy allowing you to mail back anything you try on and don’t like, just as long as the tag is still on!

Lucy in the Sky is no doubt a great place to find good priced options for dresses in all different lengths: mini, midi, and maxi. Heavy on the sparkle emphasis, Lucy in the Sky is a popular Prom place for its own great Prom specific section, and its ever-updating inventory that’s in tune with all this season’s trends. One cautionary thing to keep in mind if you do intend to buy your Prom look from Lucy in the Sky is that they don’t offer direct returns and only give customers store credit (if returned within 14 days of delivery). If that doesn’t appeal to you, then don’t plan to purchase from there!

In store options →  

Windsor in Raleigh (Crabtree Valley Mall)

Cousin Couture in Fuquay Varina

Savvi Prom in Raleigh

Chique Prom in Raleigh (Triangle Towne Center)

Apex United Methodist Prom Shoppe (Event already happened)

Adore Designer Retail in Raleigh

Windsor is a pretty popular store come Prom time, and rightfully so as it has so many dresses, two pieces, and even pantsuits for you to choose from. Windsor can be found inside Crabtree Valley Mall, not too far from Cary. What really makes this store a great place to commence your outfit search, is that it has fitting rooms! We highly recommend going and looking here if you’re especially interested in a sparkly look for Prom. 

Cousin Couture is a bit of a ways away but a worthy trip down to Fuquay as you’re likely to return to Cary with a new dress in your closet. Cousin Couture is a known Prom boutique where they sell special just for prom brands including the famous, Jovani. Cousin Couture, like Windsor, has several fitting rooms and helpers to really make your Prom outfit experience effective and one to remember. Heavy on the sparkle, ruffle, tulle, and even feather route, Cousin Couture can also help one get their whole look prepped as they sell heels, cute sneakers, and all sorts of jewelry in the store. Two things I’d be sure to know before visiting the store: firstly, it’s always very crowded. Secondly, this particular boutique lacks more sleek, simple style dresses, so if that’s what you mainly care for I don’t recommend coming here for your Prom wardrobe.

Though Apex’s United Methodist Prom Shoppe’s big dress sale day already happened back in March, the team of women behind it are still devoted to finding you a dress for this year’s dance. The Shoppe has an informative Facebook with plans to host another sale next year for those in need (no proof of need or registration required).

Regardless of what you end up wearing Prom night, we hope it is a blast! Interested in reading more prom related content? Keep an eye out for a Promposal focused article soon!