Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Green Hope security guard, Clyde Smith, poses for a picture as he gets ready to perform his lunchtime duties.
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith
Deepa Ramesh, Zoe Westerlund, and Jason HuangApril 24, 2024
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith

Last-minute Halloween costume ideas

Scavenging through the closet again looking for a costume? Fear not, here are a few costume ideas for the last-minute party or trick-or-treating plans!
    Deciding on a costume can be the hardest part of preparing for Halloween, especially when you are low on time. Photo used with permission from Eyestetix Studio on Unsplash

Last-minute Halloween costume ideas

Halloween is right around the corner. With the fan-favorite holiday comes a night of festivities and the promise of sweet treats. However, one Halloween tradition in particular calls upon the creativity and critical thinking of all trick-or-treaters: dressing up. Coming up with a creative costume can be stressful, especially when you are low on time. Not to worry! The GH Falcon compiled a list of last-minute costume ideas you can put together with little effort and time.

Cowboy or cowgirl costumes are easy to put together, making them great for friend groups to coordinate. (Y-Nhu Do)

Cowgirl/cowboy

An easy classic, putting together this western outfit only requires pieces you probably already have at home! The main components of this costume are a flannel button-up, boots and any style of cowboy hat. You can also wear a bandana for added flair!

Wendy Torrance and Jack Torrance from “The Shining”

If you are looking for couple costumes, this one is perfect for you! This costume idea is inspired by the famous horror movie, “The Shining,” which fits the spooky vibe. To dress up as Wendy, start with a light brown turtleneck. Over the turtleneck, layer a green flannel shirt and a brown corduroy overall dress. For the final touch, wear brown boots. To dress up as Jack, wear a red jacket over a plaid shirt, a pair of jeans and utility boots.

The tourist costume is a great outfit for warmer Halloween nights. (Y-Nhu Do)

Tourist

Dressing as a tropical tourist is both easy and recognizable. The main staples of this costume are a tropical button-up, sunglasses and a flower lei. You can also throw in a camera, fanny pack and bucket hat for added effect! If the weather isn’t too cold, feel free to wear shorts and flip-flops.

Agents from “Men in Black”

The agent costume draws inspiration from the iconic “Men in Black” film series. All you need is a black suit and tie paired with sunglasses. You can also carry a briefcase for a truly polished look. If you have some extra time, you can also build your own neuralyzer using the variety of instructions across the internet. 

Wednesday Addams from “The Addams Family”

Wednesday Addams exploded in popularity after the show “Wednesday,” which spotlighted the character in November of 2022. To dress up as Wednesday, wear a white collared shirt under a black dress. If your hair is long enough, you can tie it into two braids. Wear knee-high black socks and black loafers or combat boots to finish off the look.

This pair of costumes can be modified to include all characters from the franchise for larger groups. (Neil Parmar)

Mario and Luigi

Here’s another duo costume for couples or friends! For Mario, wear overalls over a red t-shirt as your base. For accessories, wear white gloves, a red cap (or newsboy cap if you’re feeling fancy) and brown utility boots. To dress as Luigi, you can just swap the red t-shirt and red cap for green.

Whether you’re planning to go to parties or just go trick-or-treating, there’s a costume for everyone. If you’re having trouble coming up with a costume, feel free to draw inspiration from this list. The GH Falcon wishes you a happy Halloween!