Asking the right questions: Zeba Hussaini’s journalistic endeavors

The trials and tribulations of a young journalist

GH Falcon Staff

Zeba Hussaini is one of twelve students in the world to be accepted into the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s Chuck Stone Program, a three-day workshop dedicated to multi-platform storytelling and writing.

When a journalist is imagined, many picture an adult, running on coffee, sitting at a desk with papers scattered around them. While this may be true some of the time, it’s easy to overlook the true person behind the byline. Sometimes the writer is a teenage student, juggling several AP classes, a social life and extracurriculars, who can’t help but find the time to question the world around her.

Zeba Hussaini (‘24) is that writer. She has been on the staff of The GH Falcon, Green Hope’s student newspaper, for two years and currently serves as Managing Editor.

Hussaini was recently invited to represent North Carolina at the annual Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference, receiving an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington D.C. and a $1,000 scholarship to the college of her choice. Her recent article on North Carolina volunteers’ response to the Turkey-Syria earthquake was also recognized nationally by School Newspapers Online.

Hussaini’s accomplishments don’t just stop there. She is one of twelve students in the world to be accepted into the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s Chuck Stone Program, a three-day workshop dedicated to multi-platform storytelling and writing.

She reflected on her journey in both journalism and expressing herself through writing as a whole. ”English wasn’t my first language so I think it was always a little tough to say what I wanted or write what I wanted,” said Hussaini.

Hussaini has taken several journalism courses, working on both The GH Falcon and The Talon (Green Hope’s yearbook). She credits these courses with improving her communication and interpersonal skills and said she has “grown to really love the art of writing.” Hussaini faced a language barrier, but turned her discomfort into success. ”I wanted to immerse myself more in writing, especially English…if there’s an obstacle in front of me I would rather go attack it than avoid it.”

If there’s an obstacle in front of me I would rather go attack it than avoid it.

— Zeba Hussaini ('24)

Hussaini plans to return to The GH Falcon for her third year, serving as Editor-in-Chief. She loves the environment the journalism programs at Green Hope have produced. ”At least in newspaper, there’s role models all around me,” she said.

While she has been tempted to quit many times, strong editors and advisors are always there to pull her out of the water. The current Editor-in-Chief of The GH Falcon, Lucas Moore (‘23), spoke about how he supports his writers, like Hussaini. “Communication is essential. We’re here to tell stories, but the main goal is to improve journalism skills. Whether it’s spending an entire class period combing through an article or having a conversation about plans for the future, that collaboration is valuable and what makes the program special,” said Moore.

Hussaini is unsure what exactly she wants to pursue as a career, but said the collaboration and interpretive skills that come with journalism are undoubtedly worth it. ”In order to pretty much do anything it’s important to know how to interact with people and how to write and how to read … without that it’s hard to pursue a career in any other field,” she said.

Regardless of the career she chooses, Hussaini plans to continue writing in the future. ”There are so many stories waiting to be told. It is so important to be an educated citizen in society,” she said.

In her eyes, journalism is the key for societal progression. ”I really enjoy not only educating myself, but educating others on what’s going on, especially on things we don’t really talk about,” she said. Hussaini will always have a strong desire to spread her unique perspective and understanding to her peers, and is looking forward to what’s next.

If you ask me anything about what’s going on I can tell you.

— Zeba Hussaini ('24)