Quiz: Which branch of the military are you?
Armaan Minhas and Mason ClineMay 17, 2024
Graduation parties are a common senior year tradition for many high school students. Photo used with permission from Patricia Beatrix Villanueva on Unsplash
ConGRADulations: A guide to throwing grad parties
Regan Orlando, Annabella Monge, Armaan Minhas, and Mason ClineMay 13, 2024
A messy workstation can make simple jobs much more difficult as more time is spent looking for resources rather than carrying out the job. Photo used with permission from Alexander Grey via Unsplash.
Getting it together: online organizational tools
Tri Do, Staff Writer • May 8, 2024
The 2023-2024 Green Hope girls varsity lacrosse team poses for a team picture during media day. Photo taken with permission from @ghwlax Via Instagram.
Running to the end of the season: Women's varsity lacrosse
Deepa Ramesh, Staff Writer • May 15, 2024
Brij Bhatt (‘25) and Aidan Xu (‘25) heading off the court after a fierce doubles matchup. Photo used with permission from Rafik Khismatov (24).
Back to back?
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Tri Do, Staff Writer • May 8, 2024
Back to back?
Back to back?
Tri Do, Staff Writer • May 8, 2024
Back to back?
Back to back?
Tri Do, Staff Writer • May 8, 2024
Back to back?

Diving into NBA Playoffs

The+NBA+playoffs+have+started%2C+and+the+anticipation+is+high.%E2%80%8B+From+buzzer+beater+shots+to+comebacks%2C+the+stakes+are+high%2C+and+teams+are+battling+for+a+shot+at+winning+the+championship.+
Mason Dean
The NBA playoffs have started, and the anticipation is high.​ From buzzer beater shots to comebacks, the stakes are high, and teams are battling for a shot at winning the championship.

The NBA playoffs are underway, and there is plenty to anticipate after an action packed start to the postseason. The top four teams in each conference will meet in a seven game series to determine who will advance to the next round. The stage is set for the best basketball talent in the world and with electrifying plays, championship dreams are on the line. 

No. 1 seed Oklahoma Thunder vs. No. 8 seed New Orlean Pelicans

In the first round of the playoffs, the Oklahoma Thunders played against the New Orlean Pelicans. Asserting an early dominance, the Thunders ended up winning 4-0. The Pelicans could not stop Oklahoma Thunders dynamic duo Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Chet Holmgren, whose offensive game was unmatched for the Pelicans; at the same time, Holmgren also provided great defense.  Holmgren ended up having 8.8 rebounds, cleaning up the missed shots. Despite a great effort from Pelicans shifty guard CJ McCollum, the Thunders proved to be too much for the Pelicans.

No. 3 seed Phoenix Suns vs. No. 6 seed Minnesota Timberwolves  

Proving to be one of the most anticipated match ups, both teams had brilliant lineups filled with an all-star cast of Anthony Edwards, Devin Booker, Kevin Durant and Karl Anthony Towns. This series was a high scoring thriller with clutch performances, such as Anthony Edwards’ slam dunk in game four which sent the Phoenix Suns home. After a four game series, the Minnesota Timberwolves took down the Phoenix Suns, with Timberwolves shooting guard Anthony Edwards, unstoppable. As the Timberwolves scored at all three levels, they took the league by storm. Grayson Cuffe (‘24) expressed how Timberwolves guard Anthony Edwards performed against the Suns, “I have never seen such explosive athleticism and relentless drive that Anthony Edwards has. He reminds me of a young Michael Jordan almost. Despite being just in his second season, he plays with such maturity and comfort under pressure. I think Edwards’ versatile scoring ability is what caused the Suns to have such trouble on the defensive side. Whether it’s going to the rim, pulling up for a mid-range jumper or showing his ability to knock down threes from behind the arc, Edward’s scoring definitely showcased his superstar potential.”  After their striking game, The Minnesota Timberwolves are moving on to the second round against the Denver Nuggets.

No. 4 Los Angeles Clippers vs. No. 5 Dallas Mavericks

The Los Angeles Clippers faced off against the Dallas Mavericks. The Clippers, led by James Harden, averaged 22.2 points per game (ppg), 4.0 rebounds per game (rpg), and 7.0 assists per game (apg). The Clippers asserted dominance in game one, but the Dallas Mavericks ended up winning game two in a nail-biting victory. Luka Dončić of the Dallas Mavericks showed to be a problem, putting up an astounding 30.2 ppg, 9.2 rpg, and 8.8 apg. The Dallas Mavericks are leading the series 3-2, and I believe they are going to win this series the way Luka Dončić is playing like a madman.

No. 2 Denver Nuggets vs.  No. 7 Los Angeles Lakers

In a clash between two dynamic offenses, the Denver Nuggets and the Los Angeles Lakers both proved to be unstoppable teams. The Denver Nuggets swept the Lakers with their talent and experience from Jamal Murray, who averaged 21.2 ppg, 4.1rpg, and 6.5 apg.

Vishnu Boggala (‘24) smiles at a basketball game as electrifying cheers fill the atmosphere.
(Mason Dean)

Vishnu Boggala (‘24) touched upon the intense matchup between Denver Nuggets and the Los Angeles Lakers, “This matchup was highly anticipated for me because I am a big Denver Nuggets fan. From the start, Nikola Jokic showed why he is the reigning MVP; his versatile play style and flashy passes make him my favorite basketball player. The support cast from Jamal Murray definitely was one of the reasons the Nuggets were able to beat the Lakers.” Denver Nuggets center Nikola Jokic proved to be a problem to the Lakers, averaging 26.4 ppg, 12.4 rpg and 9.0 apg. Despite a valiant effort from the Lakers, the Nuggets offensive prowess proved to be too much for the Lakers. The Nuggets will be playing against the Minnesota Timberwolves in the second round.

Overall, I believe that the Dallas Mavericks will play against the Boston Celtics as the finals matchup, with the Mavericks winning the series. Both teams have rosters stacked with depth and talent, with stars like Luka Dončić and Kyrie Irving leading the Mavericks, and Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown leading the Celtics. These two powerhouses will provide a thrilling showdown in the NBA finals.