Just keep pushing: Mental Health Awareness Month

The month of May marks Mental Health Awareness Month, a month dedicated to increase visibility on the importance of mental health and wellness, and to reduce the stigmatization regarding mental illnesses. Photo used with permission from Robina Weermeijer via Unsplash.

Editors’ Note: This article contains sensitive topics including mental health, depression and suicide. Please read at your own discretion.

When Student A* first entered freshman year, they were initially met with intense feelings of angst, self doubt, and isolation; feelings that have persisted since elementary school. After two years of isolation after the pandemic, COVID-19 had exacerbated these struggles. “In 2021, when I had just started high school, it was a very big and difficult change in my life.” they said. “I was scared everyday; I was scared of getting COVID-19, I was scared of failing academically, I was scared of meeting completely new people, I was scared of a completely new environment.” 

Student A’s experience is not uncommon. According to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention, in 2021, more than 40% of high school students reported feeling depressed. This issue among students is only growing; just last year, several University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University students died by suicide. 

However, efforts are being made to combat these issues through raising awareness and increasing the visibility of those suffering from mental issues. Originally established in 1949 by Mental Health America, May marks Mental Health Awareness Month, a time that highlights the importance of wellness, health, and recovery.

Mental Health Awareness Month provides a platform for advocacy, education, and support. It aims to reduce the stigma associated with mental illness, fostering an environment of empathy, understanding and empowerment for individuals navigating mental challenges.

For Mental Health Awareness Month, organizations around school such as Green Hope’s Psi Alpha Honor Society will work to promote this month, enhancing education and acceptance with mental health, and reducing stigma. (Alan Shr)

In an interview with The GH Falcon, Mr. Daniel McGrogan, Green Hope school psychologist shared the significance of this reflective month.

“This month plays a crucial role in how mental challenges are perceived,” explains McGrogan. Mental Health Awareness Month serves as a space where public education about various mental conditions, their symptoms, and available treatments are pushed. “Increased awareness can empower individuals to recognize signs of distress in themselves or others and seek appropriate support. This greatly reduces the risk of illness.” Psychological education also largely reduces the stigma and harmful misconceptions surrounding mental illness.

He elaborated on the impact that this month has on people affected by psychological disorders. “For those struggling with issues mentally, Mental Health Awareness Month can be a source of validation and support. It offers reassurance that they are not alone and that help is available,” stated Mr. McGrogan. During this month, awareness campaigns are very prevalent, which provide information about support services, hotlines, and community resources.

Mr. McGrogan further discussed the importance of this month by describing the value of the basis of the month itself: mental health.

Mental health impacts everyone, and by acknowledging the depth behind this issue, society can begin to help those that struggle with unseen problems. As one’s livelihood is heavily dependent on their mental well-being, this month reminds the necessity to maintain a strong, healthy mind. From academic life to social life, mental issues can significantly hinder one to live healthily and happily.

Mr. McGrogan explained how good mental health enables students to learn effectively. By upkeeping mental health, students’ concentration, memory and cognitive abilities are enhanced, which are crucial to success in school.

Maintaining good mental stability also ensures students success in a variety of other facets. The benefits and importance of a healthy mind extends outside of school – it significantly affects one’s concept of life as well.

He stated, “Maintaining good health helps students cope with the ups and downs of academic and personal life. It enables them to handle challenges, setbacks, and disappointments in a constructive manner, reducing the risk of developing anxiety, depression, or other mental disorders” He professes that strong mental health promotes self-awareness, self-esteem, and resilience, enabling students to explore their interests, set goals, and pursue their aspirations with confidence and determination.

As the month of May progresses, Mental Health Awareness Month continually makes a positive impact on students by promoting awareness, reducing stigma, increasing access to resources and fostering a supportive school environment where students feel empowered to prioritize their wellness.

*Name changed to remain privacy and anonymity