The next time the cicadas will emerge like this won’t take place until the year 2245. Photo used with permission from Sagar Vasnani via Unsplash.
Rare cicada emergence event occurs across the U.S.
Max Spiegel, Features Editor • May 31, 2024
2024: Summer playlist
2024: Summer playlist
Valentina Garcia and Mason Cline May 31, 2024
Concerts are a central part of a night out upon which other events should be based off of.
Summer concerts to look forward to
Armaan Minhas, Staff Writer • May 31, 2024
Top five moments from Green Hope Athletics 2023-24
Mason Dean, Sports Editor • May 31, 2024
Team photo of the men’s varsity baseball team after a tough game against Cary High, ultimately winning with the final score of 12-10. Photo taken with permission from Roshan Shoukat (25).
Bringing it home
Zoe Westerlund, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024
2024: Summer playlist
2024: Summer playlist
Summer concerts to look forward to
Bringing it home
Bringing it home
2024: Summer playlist
2024: Summer playlist
Summer concerts to look forward to
Bringing it home
Bringing it home
2024: Summer playlist
2024: Summer playlist
Summer concerts to look forward to
Bringing it home

From seed to harvest: An herb growing guide

Herbs are an easy way to add flavor to your meals, and to cure boredom too. Make use of the greater daytime hours and try out a new fun hobby with this guide!
Itziar Carrasco Gomez
There are hundreds of herbs to try to grow such as basil, chamomile, lavender and sage. Whether you love to drink tea or use them in food, growing your own herbs can be a fun way to spend your time throughout spring.

Growing plants can seem like a hard task, but herbs are a great way to start. They are quite easy to set up and grow from seeds, and this guide can help you through that endeavor. From pot to plant type, here are a few things to consider when starting.

Pot Type

Pots come in a myriad of sizes, designs and materials, making it hard to choose the right one. To grow herbs, a terracotta or plastic pot is best. Terracotta is a light clay, which allows water to evaporate and drain easier than other materials, and plastic can be easy to carry, lightweight and budget friendly. Stay away from metal pots as these are prone to temperature changes from sunlight or the lack thereof. 

Plant type

There are three different categories of plants: perennials, biennial, and annual. These three categories subdivide plants into the length of their life. Perennials grow and die, but can come back even years after if they plant seeds, biennials, by comparison, have a slightly shorter cycle of 2 years, and annual plants will live and wither within the same year. Choose a plant according to your lifestyle and willingness to keep at the hobby.

Soil

Drainage is key to growing herbs, so organic soils are best. The size of the soil particles are important, the greater the particle, the easier water can flow past. Opting for organic soil will prevent root-rot and drowning happening within the pot. 

Watering

Watering a plant is essential to its growth. However, if you’re a chronic procrastinator or just simply forgetful, you’re in luck. Herbs grow better with drier soil, giving you leeway in your watering cycles. To know when it’s time to actually water it, touch the soil. If it is flaky and dry, it’s time for water. If not, let it be. Lenient water cycles are a huge perk of growing herbs, for they are pretty forgiving if you forget to spray them for a week… or two.

Sunlight

To know the right amount of sunlight, read the back of your seed packet for specific instructions. Usually, herbs such as basil and chamomile enjoy the sun, but some herbs do also enjoy the partial shade. 

Harvesting

Once your seeds are full grown, it’s time to reap. To harvest your hard work, cut above a node on the plant. Nodes are small bulbs found on the stem that can create new leaves, stimulating growth. While reaping is fun, don’t take a ton and allow the nodes to heal over and grow between collections.

Herbs are a fun way to dip your toes into both spring and gardening at once. Using these tips, you can build a prosperous set of herbs, for foods and drinks alike, that’ll leave any guests stunned!