Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Max Spiegel, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
Buckets full after finding fresh strawberries on a spring day, at DJs berry patch.
Trips in the Triangle: Berry picking
Annabella Monge, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
Green Hope security guard, Clyde Smith, poses for a picture as he gets ready to perform his lunchtime duties.
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith
Deepa Ramesh, Zoe Westerlund, and Jason HuangApril 24, 2024
Trips in the Triangle: Berry picking
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith

Felicity Falcon: Spring Cleaning

Annabella Monge
Having a vacuum cleaner and trash bags helps complete cleaning with ease.

Spring is a fresh start to the new quarter of the year, transitioning from a long, cold and murky winter into a warm, sunny and vibrant spring. As flowers bloom and the weather gets warmer, it’s time for the annual spring cleaning! Cleaning can be an overwhelming task, but don’t fret, as Felicity Falcon is here to help! Here is a comprehensive how-to for spring cleaning!

What you need to clean your room

The first thing you need to do when you start cleaning is to make sure you have all the supplies needed for the job. You’ll need the basics, such as a vacuum cleaner, plastic bins or trashbags and window cleaner. To get fancy (and have a successful cleanup) you will also need Febreeze and an accessible washing machine. Having a fresh-smelling space not only ensures the space is clean but also entices your senses to that clean space. Make sure open spaces are clean of buildup such as animal hair, dust, and pollen so that it’s nice and fresh. Eliminating buildup also helps out those with allergies. Ensuring beds and sheets are washed and cleaned completes a healthy spring cleanup. 

How to create open space

Knowing where to start can be a very daunting task; there’s an abundance of clutter everywhere, and everything jumbles together, so you have no idea how to start! To solve this, start by picking one item to focus on and remove. For example, when cleaning your room, focus specifically on shirts, rather than picking everything up at once. By having an organized approach to cleaning, tidying your space can be a lot less daunting and cleaning can also be a lot more enjoyable and efficient. When organizing, make sure everything has a place, and that you get rid of any trash or unnecessary items. 

How to get rid of extras

Parting ways with extra or unnecessary belongings can be a difficult task for some. Knowing to donate or sell things you no longer need is vital and one of the most important steps for creating clean spaces. When cleaning, it’s easy to hoard, as you aren’t sure what an item truly means to you, but by determining the usefulness, quality of an item and your opinion on it, this dilemma can be solved. This step is when the plastic bins or garbage bags come into play. You’ll need to make a pile of “yes” and “no” with your items. Everything you don’t usually use or wear creates your “no pile.” If it’s something expensive, very personal or used often, consider placing that item in your “yes” pile.   After you’ve decided to get rid of an item, you can donate your items to thrift stores, donation centers, shelters and schools. 

As your space is cleaned, reflect over the pristine and spotless areas. A clean room leads to better moods and better productivity! If you have any questions or article ideas, be sure to ask in the comment section! Felicity out!