Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Green Hope security guard, Clyde Smith, poses for a picture as he gets ready to perform his lunchtime duties.
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith
Deepa Ramesh, Zoe Westerlund, and Jason HuangApril 24, 2024
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith

Cult classics: Their past, present and future

Cult+classics+can+become+great+business+if+marketed+the+right+way.+Napoleon+Dynamite+merchandise+is+still+popular+today%2C+despite+the+movie+being+over+2+decades+old.+Photo+used+with+permission+from+Roberto+Contreras+via+Unsplash.+
Cult classics can become great business if marketed the right way. Napoleon Dynamite merchandise is still popular today, despite the movie being over 2 decades old. Photo used with permission from Roberto Contreras via Unsplash.

From Napoleon Dynamite to The Rocky Horror Picture, Cult Classics have shaped the progression of movies since the beginning of cinema. 

When most people hear the word cult classic, their eyes likely avert to the word “cult”. Rest assured, Cult classic movies have nothing to do with that – unless Ari Aster is directing it. 

Cult classic movies are defined as films that acquire a devoted fanbase, usually all having a specific niche in common. For the most part, these movies are initially unsuccessful at the box office and rejected by mainstream media because of controversial themes and unconventional storytelling.  However, what they lack in ratings and profit, they make up through popular fan theories, viewing parties, line memorizations and conventions showcasing the love these niche fanbases have for a certain cult movie. 

Read on for an overview of several of the most renowned cult classic films today. 

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

One of the first cult movies to win the title “cult movie” was released in 1975. Adapted from the 1973 musical first premiering in a studio theater in London, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” was controversial as a clash between traditionalist and progressivist views dictating what could and could not be shown in mainstream media. As years passed, screenings of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” proliferated into midnight viewings treated as sacred events. Actors would perform in front of a projected movie screen as the audiences created their own callback script as the show progressed. The cult following was centered around Frankfurt, a presumably gender-fluid character and the poster child of movie’s controversy in mainstream media. Today, there are still “Rocky Horror Picture Show” viewings where audiences gather in small, dark theaters and recite a 60-year-old callback script, wearing costumes that include corsets, fishnets and other Rocky Horror-inspired elements. 

Clue (1985)

Despite containing a witty script and A-List names like Tim Curry, who also played Frankfurt in The Rocky Horror Picture Show movie, and Christopher Lloyd, who played Dr. Emmett Brown from Back To The Future, the movie started as a box office flop. “Flops” refer to movies whose profit falls below their initial budget. According to IMDb, “Clue” grossed about $3 Million in domestic sales upon it’s initial release in the box office. The profit was meek compared to the $15 million budget the movie worked with. Although “Clue” is a beloved cult classic today, the initial negative feedback came from the lack of dark comedies and satire pieces present in 80s cinema. As it is remembered, the 80s was a goldmine for blockbusters and action movies. Compared to movies like Indiana Jones, Back To The Future, and Star Wars, “Clue” just seemed like a boring who-dunnit mystery with pretentious commentary about the rich. Then, the age of satire and dark comedy in cinema reached new heights going into the 21st century. As interest in social and political commentary grew with movie lovers, so did the film’s popularity. 

Napoleon Dynamite (2003)

What “Napoleon Dynamite” excels in is an understanding of deadpan and everything the literary device can do for a picture, because deadpan doesn’t have to be a constant monotone mumble from each character. In many cases, “Napoleon Dynamite” achieves deadpan in the most dramatic way possible. With physical comedy and witty undertones, the comedy of the movie lies in the precise use of melodrama. Fits of whining, Napoleon’s tendency to break out into dance and the absurd yet confident sales techniques of Uncle Rico all depict a colorful yet dry world of humor. While the movie was not considered a “flop” as it made significantly more profit than it’s budget, it’s camp humor, catchy one-liners, and unique style earned it the title of cult classic.

Scott Pilgrim VS The World (2010)

To delve into more recent occurrences of cult classics, “Scott Pilgrim VS The World” certainly takes the cake for the most mainstream film. In retrospect, the cast of A-List actors along, with it’s initial release as a blockbuster, makes this movie a familiar favorite rather than a niche cult classic. In reality, “Scott Pilgrim vs The World” is the underdog story of all underdog stories as it arose from a small comic book fandom to a multi-million dollar motion picture. As the years went on, not only did the movie gain more coverage, but the graphic novels too. Although the movie was released over a decade ago, it continues to be active for its cult following. In fact, in November of 2023, Netflix released a new “Scott Pilgrim vs The World” animated series based off of the comics featuring voice acting from original characters from the motion picture. 

The Future of cult classics 

In the digital age, no piece of media goes untouched. However, there are plenty of hidden gems that are speculated to build a cult following over time. 

Especially as a new generation of directors take an increased interest in satire and surrealism, many movies from the past few years have been too out of the box, even for modern audiences. 

In his directorial debut, “Boots Riley” made an anti-capitalist film that struck audiences in a way where some, presumably capitalists, believed it to be socialist propaganda. The surrealist tone of “Sorry To Bother You” which premiered back in 2018, generated controversy for the new director which is why the movie is still rejected by Hollywood today. However, as the socialist movement gains traction among younger generations, the commentary “Boots Riley” includes in this film is gaining the recognition he ultimately strived for as conversations arise surrounding capitalism and its many flaws. 

Additionally, the 2022 slasher “Bodies Bodies Bodies” paved a new road for the world of horror. While mainstream slasher classics like “Scream” offer some satirical comedy mixed in with horror elements, “Bodies Bodies Bodies” fully immerses itself into the bizarre minds of these out-of-touch young adults. Although its success does not live up to its quality, as the movie hits popular streaming services like Netflix, the movie is gaining more popularity than it did when it was in the box office. 

The most recent occurrence of the birth of a cult classic is “Lisa Frankenstein”, a horror comedy which was released on Valentine’s Day of this year. The movie starring Kathryn Newton and Cole Sprouse was pulled out of theaters three weeks early due to lack of profit, however, with the recent arrival of streaming services like Peacock, the movie’s niche fanbase has already started to grow. 

Cult classic movies always find a way into the hearts of different generations and now, this may be a time in cinema where cult classics are more prominent than ever. New humor, technology, and minds all interact to make smash hits and flops that pose the egregious threat of one day becoming a beloved familiar favorite.