GHFalcon News 4/26/24
April 26, 2024
Girls State attendee Brooke Taylor seen taking a selfie with additional participants. Photo used with permission from Apple TV+.
“Girls State:” A captivating female empowerment story
Quiz: Which style of prom dress are you?
Regan Orlando, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024
Coach Howell engages in a powerful defensive stance. Howell is embracing change as he leaves the court and brings new players to it through his work. Photo by John Joyner, NC State Technician, 2021. Used by permission.
Wolf to Falcon: Richard Howell named Men's Varsity Basketball Coach
GHFalcon News 4/26/24
April 26, 2024

The ultimate Netflix recommendation guide

Some shows take up all the spotlight on Netflix, but here are some that deserve to be watched too. Photo used with permission from Venti Views via Unsplash.

From laugh out loud comedies to thrilling dramas, choosing what series to binge-watch on Netflix can be a difficult task. Whether you’re craving a cinematic masterpiece or a hidden gem, below are narrowed down series to binge on Netflix right now.

The Haunting of Hill House 

The modern reimagining of the Shirley Jackson novel follows siblings who grew up in what would go on to become the most famous haunted house in the country. Now adults, they are forced back together in the face of tragedy and must confront the ghosts of their past. Some of those ghosts still lurk in their minds, while others may actually be stalking the shadows of Hill House. The ten episode miniseries is filled with horrifying imagery and plenty of tension. Potentially the greatest horror series streaming on Netflix.

The Haunting of Bly Manor

Set in the same continuity as “The Haunting of Hill House,” the series follows a young nanny being hired by a man to look after his niece and nephew at the family country house, known as the Bly Manor. After arriving, she begins to see apparitions that proceed to haunt the premises. The nine episode miniseries isn’t nearly as scary as its predecessor, rather falling into more of a romantic love story. While the series is a follow-up, it very well stands on its own for a standalone viewing. 

Midnight Mass

Set in a small, isolated island community, the arrival of a charismatic priest brings miracles, mysteries and renewed religious fervor to the dying town. Filled with supernatural elements, the seven-episode miniseries provides plenty of thrills, scares and mysteries for the audience to grasp without letting up until the final episode’s credits begin to roll. 

The Fall of the House of Usher

Based on the works of Edgar Allen Poe, the limited series follows siblings Rodrick and Madeline Usher, CEOs of a corrupt pharmaceutical company who meet with the children of Rodrick Usher to sign a deal for them to be ready to take over the company, whether they desire to or not. Shortly after, a series of tragedies unfold involving the kids, bringing the untouched secrets of Rodrick and Madeline into the spotlight. The eight-episode miniseries provides plenty of thrills and scares for fans of the horror genre, as well as a modern twist to Poe’s stories written in the 1800s. 

Mindhunter

Holden Ford, Bill Tench, and psychologist Wendy Carr decide to take a unique approach to solve some ongoing serial killer cases. The three launch a research project to interview imprisoned serial killers in hopes that understanding their psychology will help solve cases similar to theirs. 

Beef

A 2023 American comedy/drama TV series created by Korean-American director Lee Sung Jin. It stars Steven Yeun, best known for his performances in The Walking Dead and Invincible as Danny Cho, and Ali Wong, known for her stand-up specials such as Baby Cobra, playing Amy Lau. These two strangers end up involved in a road rage incident that escalates into a prolonged feud. This series is filled to the brim with funny moments and will give anyone who watches it a laugh. 

The Sandman

Based on the DC Comic by Neil Gaiman, the series follows The Sandman, also known as Lord Morpheus or Dream, a cosmic being who possesses the ability to control all dreams. After being captured and held prisoner for over a century, he heads on a journey across multiple worlds and timelines to fix the chaos created in his absence. The season provides a clever spin on the comic book genre and features loads of different worlds, timelines and characters for the audience to latch onto for eight episodes. 

A Series of Unfortunate Events

A Series of Unfortunate Events is based on the book series of the same name. The show focuses on characters Violet, Klaus and Sunny who are following their parents’ deaths and their home’s destruction. While the children are shuffled between various foster homes, they are pursued by Count Olaf, who desires to gain control of their inheritance before Violet comes of age. Along the way, these three discover their parents’ connections to an elusive secret society, and the series only gets better from there. 

Avatar

The Last Airbender is a second attempt at a live-action version of the animated series by the same title. Most fans of the animated series disliked the original live-action film due to the mispronunciation of names, changes made to the power system (bending), how cramped it felt with the short time the movie had and various other reasons. However, this TV series variation has been good so far. The first season mimics the first season of the original series, following Aang, after being found inside of an iceberg by Katara and Sokka as he learns how to use the element of water. The episodes of this show are very similar to the ones from the animated series, following both major and minor storylines in each episode. However, these episodes are double the length of the animated series. This action-packed and well-written story is one of the best that Netflix offers, and people who aren’t watching it are missing out.