Concerts are a fun way to interact with your favorite artists surrounded by friends and fans. Photo by Anthony DELANOIX on Unsplash
Trips in the Triangle: Upcoming Concerts
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 12, 2024
Having a vacuum cleaner and trash bags helps complete cleaning with ease.
Felicity Falcon: Spring Cleaning
Felicity Falcon, Advice-Giver-in-Chief • April 12, 2024
As the 2023-24 school year wraps up, juniors prepare for college applications. Photo used with permission from Philippe Bout on Unsplash
Junior checklist for the college application season
Justin Jackson, Staff Writer • April 11, 2024
Played in the Hornets home arena, Charlotte played host to first and second-round matchups including UNC vs. Michigan State.
March Madness recap
Mason Dean and Mason ClineApril 11, 2024
Brinley Zalc (’24) is #5 on the womens soccer team and defends against an opponent from Athens Drive. Photo used with permission from Brinley Zalc.
Spring sports: Start of season recap
Armaan Minhas, Staff Writer • March 22, 2024
Felicity Falcon: Spring Cleaning
March Madness recap
Spring sports: Start of season recap
March Madness recap
Spring sports: Start of season recap

Talents of Theater: Cloude Fewkes

Cloude Fewkes (‘24) stars during a performance of a recent Green Hope Theatre play, Almost Maine. Photo used with permission from Cloude Fewkes.

“Working 9 to 5”; This line is not only an incredibly popular Dolly Parton lyric, but can also nearly describe Cloude Fewkes’ (‘24) commitment to the Green Hope “9 to 5” musical. Fewkes has a strong passion for acting and theater, describing themself as “the kid that never stopped playing pretend on the playground.” As they aged, Fewkes felt that “high school was my first chance to really do theater and I loved it. After my sophomore year, I realized that that was what I wanted to do.” 

For Fewkes, this passion was stimulated by multiple Broadway musicals, including “Hamilton” and “Newsies.” With such a strong theatrical background, it comes as no surprise that they are playing Violet, a main character in “9 to 5.” With this great opportunity, however, comes immense responsibility. 

Regarding the major role, Fewkes revealed, “Rehearsal is definitely a big time commitment. We rehearse from 2:30 to 5 after school anywhere from 3 to 5 days a week. Oftentimes I’m either on stage for entire rehearsals or am working behind the scenes with costumes. Additionally, I have to learn lines and choreography outside of school.” All of these learning experiences are crucial for Fewkes, and the rest of the Green Hope Theatre students, to excel on the big stage.

Fewkes was especially excited upon receiving this role, because of the complexities within the character, Violet, that they are playing. “She’s very driven, she’s very witty, she’s very snappy, which is fun and interesting. I haven’t played a role like her before so it will be a cool challenge.” The character itself isn’t the only major difference between this performance and their past shows, Fewkes will have to “wear a wig, learn to dance in heels, and manage multiple costume changes throughout the showing.”

Oftentimes theater utilizes intricate props and costumes to portray scenes, as Fewkes and some peers do in this set from their performance of “The Terrible Infants.” Photo used with permission from Cloude Fewkes.

When considering the large number of moving pieces in this performance and in their specific role, Fewkes mentioned the rest of the theater team’s impact on the production of the musical.  “Everybody is doing a great job. I love our cast and our tech team and I’m so proud of everyone’s work thus far.” This pride in their squad is what has made the collaboration effortless for Fewkes, smoothly transitioning into a difficult and significant role within the upcoming musical.

Along with such a strong support system, Fewkes credits their success to their past experiences in acting. “There is only so much about acting that you can teach. I’ve done a lot of shows and try to learn something new from every show that I have done. I’ve definitely grown a lot in the past few years within theater and… I’m so excited to show everyone our amazing work.” 

If one thing is consistent for Cloude Fewkes, it is their undisputable dedication and appreciation for theater. Above all, Fewkes is incredibly proud of the hard work that all of the theater group has poured into this incredible project and is excited to debut “9 to 5” on “April 18th with shows on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night!”