Brij Bhatt (‘25) and Aidan Xu (‘25) heading off the court after a fierce doubles matchup. Photo used with permission from Rafik Khismatov (24).
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Back to back?
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Back to back?
Back to back?
Back to back?
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Back to back?

Poll: What’s the best Thanksgiving Food?

As Thanksgiving is approaches, the GH Falcon surveyed the Green Hope community for their favorite traditional foods for this holiday.

After a survey of over 175 Green Hope students and staff, mashed potatoes are the clear favorite, followed by mac & cheese. (Mason Dean)

1. Mashed potatoes

Coming in first place, the Green Hope staff and students ranked mashed potatoes as the best Thanksgiving food. There are many different add-ins to mashed potatoes making them a diverse food. Some people said they put gravy on top and others said they would mix their turkey into the mashed potatoes for additional flavor. As the favorite, they earned 37 out of 176 votes

Bread rolls and mac & cheese are two of the most popular Thanksgiving dishes. (Regan Orlando)

2. Mac & cheese

While some don’t consider mac & cheese to be a Thanksgiving food, it is a very popular side dish coming in second place. There are various ways to cook and serve mac & cheese with every family having their own traditions surrounding this food. It is a forgotten side dish although once it is made, people tend to enjoy it.

3. Bread rolls

As a staple for many holidays, rolls are simple but delicious. During Thanksgiving, they are especially popular as they can be paired with just about anything. Many people add gravy and mashed potatoes on top of the bread to soften it up. A typical meal is turkey sandwiches, making the rolls a crucial part of the traditional food.

4. Turkey or ham

Protein is a key part of all well balanced meals, although sometimes it is an afterthought. Ranking in fourth place, ham and turkey got 26 votes. The majority of people think of turkey when they think of Thanksgiving. However, for some people in the Green Hope community, ham takes the spotlight as the main dish.

5. Pie

Pie is widely recognized as the official dessert of Thanksgiving. With many options ranging from pumpkin to pecan, there is a flavor for everyone. Some people choose to make their pies and others eat store bought, depending on the level of cooking to be done. Pumpkin pie is often a popular choice as it reminds most people of fall.

Thanksgiving dinner may look different in different homes, but many favorites remain the same. (Y-Nhu Do)

6. Stuffing

While stuffing is in sixth place, it is still regarded as a necessity for a Thanksgiving meal. There are many possible ways to make stuffing, depending on the desired flavor. Even though some people dislike stuffing, it will always be found on a Thanksgiving table right next to the turkey.

7. Cranberry Sauce

Although considered a classic for a Thanksgiving meal, many people overlook this sauce as it was ranked last place. Cranberry sauce is typically added on top of foods that are thought to be less flavorful. A common use for this dish is on top of turkey sandwiches to take away from the usual dryness turkey is known for.