Brij Bhatt (‘25) and Aidan Xu (‘25) heading off the court after a fierce doubles matchup. Photo used with permission from Rafik Khismatov (24).
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Back to back?
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Max Spiegel, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
Buckets full after finding fresh strawberries on a spring day, at DJs berry patch.
Trips in the Triangle: Berry picking
Annabella Monge, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
Back to back?
Back to back?
Trips in the Triangle: Berry picking
Back to back?
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Back to back?

Local Farmers Markets in NC

Annabella Monge
Fresh produce and flowers being sold on a sunny Saturday afternoon at the North Carolina State Farmers Market.

Providing the freshest produce and support for local farmers, farmers markets are an enjoyable place to get food and get to know your community. With 217 local markets, the state of North Carolina is placed in the top 10 of Indy Week’s list. North Carolina has built a culture around farmers markets and is best known for its soybeans, sweet potatoes, corn, peanuts, apples and cotton.

In Cary, there are many smaller local farmers markets, and surrounding Cary, larger more common farmers markets. Here are five popular farmers markets that many people enjoy.

Uptown Farmers Market

Uptown is a non-profit organization in Charlotte that advocates for supporting local farmers and educating healthy eating. Uptown Farmers Market has a great selection of fresh produce and top local food selections. Many families in North Carolina attend and they can even bring their four-legged friends! There are several local partnerships in place, not only producing great quality food but also a community that many individuals bond over. This farmers market partners with food trucks, bakeries, florals, farmers, cafes, poultry vendors and more. The farmers market is also big on volunteerism, allowing patrons to paint fruits and vegetables on bike lanes, to advocate for healthy eating.

Midtown Farmers Market

Uptown Farmers Market features this painted building, created by locals, showing the local, grown and fresh foods from the vendors in Charlotte. (Annab)

Midtown Farmers Market is located in the middle of Raleigh, providing local food for those within a 100-mile radius. Midtown delivers fresh farmers market foods that attract individuals in the first place and also provides special activities such as fitness classes, farm-to-table cooking demos, live music sing-alongs and events for kids. Midtown creates opportunities to get together as a community and even invites special guests (past Iron Chef contestants have been present.) Around Midtown’s farmers market, there are commercial places such as Which, Omega Sports, Five Guys and more.

Cary Downtown Farmers Market

Cary’s Downtown Farmers Market is year-round, and has great ideas for festive holidays, as many people look forward to going to the market at different times of the year. The market’s main goal is to provide opportunities for those in the area to eat healthy, local, fresh food. To achieve this goal, they publish different healthy recipes, fun to make and delicious. They encourage bringing your family, and kids, as going to this farmers market is an enjoyable place for a day out (they also accept leashed pets). Lots of people are attracted to and enjoy the laid-back feel of Cary’s market. 

North Carolina State Farmers Market

North Carolina’s State Farmer Market is one of, if not the largest farmers markets in North Carolina. It is open every day all year round. There are several climate control buildings for each section of the market including the farmers building, market shops, truckers building, wholesale terminal, market imports and restaurants. At the market, they sell fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables, fresh meat and cheese, local good quality wine, homemade soap and candles, pottery, furniture and more. With all the acres of land spanned by the market, the market is good at providing people with good food through restaurants such as a nice seafood restaurant or their southern North Carolina restaurant. North Carolina’s State Farmers Market has a large variety of everything a person could think of and more. 

Western Wake Farmers Market

Western Wake Farmers Market is from Wake County and serves Cary. It started with a few Cary mothers back in 2009 wanting to feed their families satisfactory nutritious food. This farmers market makes for very suitable get-togethers with the local community and encourages communicating and getting to know one another. In recent times, these get-togethers have included a cat adoption event, thanksgiving food drives, a Winter Wonderland craft fair and pumpkin drop-offs. There are many small local vendors that citizens love to support! This market is also part of the Morrisville Education Garden which provides many ongoing donations to the community of Wake County. Western Wake serves as a spark into healthy eating as well as community togetherness.

North Carolina is good at making good produce and their farmers give a good example of community. Going to the farmers markets can be good for a family outing and serve the freshest produce you can buy in the area. There are many farmers markets to choose from and their popularity can guarantee one close to you.