Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Green Hope security guard, Clyde Smith, poses for a picture as he gets ready to perform his lunchtime duties.
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith
Deepa Ramesh, Zoe Westerlund, and Jason HuangApril 24, 2024
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith

Travis Scott’s one night performance in Raleigh, NC

A+view+from+the+higher+seating+of+the+stage+at+PNC+Arena%2C+Travis+Scott+is+in+the+middle+of+his+song+%E2%80%9CI+KNOW+%3F%E2%80%9D+towards+the+start+of+his+Oct.+13+performance.+
Annabella Monge
A view from the higher seating of the stage at PNC Arena, Travis Scott is in the middle of his song “I KNOW ?” towards the start of his Oct. 13 performance.

Travis Scott is a famous rapper and is widely known for the music he produces. According to allmusic.com, he grew up in Houston and started creating music as a high school student. He dropped out of college and started his music career by recording music himself, moving to Los Angeles. He met Kayne West where his career then started to flourish and he started being featured in celebrities music such as Metro Boomin and Rihanna.

“Days before Rodeo” was Travis Scott’s first album and he has had five more albums since, with his most recent album of “UTOPIA”. Travis Scott has been doing many concerts, with his most famous concert being his “Astroworld Rest in Peace” tour in 2021. The tour was mainly known for its horrible incident, as according to billboard.com, 10 people from ages 9-27 died in the outdoor festival in Houston during the tour. More than 500 lawsuits for deaths and injuries were filed and further controversy around Travis Scott erupted.

Travis Scott came back from his AstroWorld tour recently, and is now on his current tour that is still ongoing. He is performing his “Circus Maximus” tour, mainly featuring his new “UTOPIA” album. Touring 28 cities in the US and Canada, his concerts will be done towards the very end of December, having started in early October. His tours consist of features from many famous artists such as Drake, Playboi Carti, 21 Savage, SZA, Future and many more. According to CW39 Houston, his concerts have an ecstatic atmosphere and include fun elements like crowd surfing.

The view from the floor section of the stage, Friday night at PNC Arena. Travis Scott had a specialized feature on his concert stage, an elevating stone platform. Photo used with permission from Josiah McDonald.

As his tour commences, Travis Scott also came to Raleigh, North Carolina. He was supposed to perform the Friday and the Saturday of the 13th and 14th of October, but only ended up performing the first night. Josiah McDonald (‘24) saw Travis Scott at PNC Arena on Oct.13, the Friday night. He had a high energy performance from the concert and had floor tickets as well, McDonald saying, “I loved the atmosphere he had with the different types of smoke, fire, and fireworks during the concert making the experience unexplainable. I had a great time at the concert making the experience unexplainable.”

Travis Scott delayed the concert for the following day, Saturday, canceling it last minute, with no explanation as to why. However, he still went to Dallas to perform his next show on Oct.17. Many were upset about this incident and were looking forward to seeing Travis Scott on Saturday night, Jenna Costa (‘25) included, since she had box seats and had been looking forward to going, “Sadly I was not able to go to the Travis Scott concert. I was upset because my friends and I had a super fun night planned out and had awesome seats. He is one of my favorite rappers and I was super excited to see him!”

People are either selling or keeping their tickets to see if the concert gets postponed to another date. It is unclear whether Travis Scott is coming back to North Carolina to perform again this year, but is still a possibility. The tickets are still open but are shown as “TBA”.