Brij Bhatt (‘25) and Aidan Xu (‘25) heading off the court after a fierce doubles matchup. Photo used with permission from Rafik Khismatov (24).
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Finding plants around you can give be a good source for fresh flowers, especially as they are all blooming late Apr. into May.
Flowers and festivities: May Day
Annabella Monge, Staff Writer • May 1, 2024
Back to back?
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Max Spiegel, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
Back to back?
Flowers and festivities: May Day
Back to back?
Back to back?
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Back to back?

Oh paw-lease! It’s adopt a dog month!

Adopt a dog month brings a new wave of awareness to animal cruelty and abuse, as well as ways to help minimize the issue for pet lovers.
Sarah volunteering at Neshama Animal Rescue. She not only likes volunteering and working with dogs, but she has a good time doing it. Photo used with permission from Sarah Smith (‘25).

Adopting a dog is celebrated all throughout the month of October. The American Humane Society started Adopt a Dog month in 1981, as 3-4 million animals were in shelters for various reasons. Even after 1981, shelters were overcrowded and dogs were needing adoptions.  With the month of October, encourages Americans to adopt more, with two million dogs annually already being adopted each year.

With an overwhelming number of dogs in shelters creating less room for dogs in need, adopting dogs not only provides a home, but also secures a spot for another dog in need. There is also a tremendous amount of dogs, leaving little room in facilities. Adopting a dog will not only give a dog a home, but help secure a spot for another dog in need. Adopting a dog not only benefits the dog but also can be beneficial for the owner. Dogs are partners in millions of people’s lives and are with companions through bad times and good times, see the worst and best of the owner and have unconditional love, make people smile, and give people energy.

Green Hopes SPCA animal drive donations for a local dog shelter including treats, toys, cleaning supplies, and food. Green Hope members of the SPCA donate a lot for local shelters. Photo used with permission by Cailan Roy (‘25)

Pets for Patriots give scientific research on how even the smallest interaction with a dog produces Oxytocin from your brain, it’s referred to as the “cuddle chemical.” Apparently a simple waggy tail when you get home from school or work can make you mentally happier within seconds, and a short walk with your buddy can make you physically more active and refreshed. On both sides, whether you’re adopted or the one adopting, it can be positive.

Many people feel the “cuddle chemical” and experience it with their own dogs. A former Green Hope student, Claire O’Driscoll (’25), has just adopted her new dog, Rhubarb, who is three years old. Claires dog was adopted from Foster Fail through the Wake County system. She says that “My family and I love our new dog! She brings us so much love and joy! Now I can’t see what a day without her would be like.” With this she provides how “I think dogs are able to make people happy because they can reduce stress, anxiety and also they are a happy friend! They ease loneliness, encourage exercise and playfulness, and even improve your cardiovascular health.”

Many dogs in the shelters don’t come from a good past. Some go to shelters because their owners’ landlords don’t accept pets, or their owners can’t take care of their animals any longer due to health. With this, animals are left to get through the day without a loving family member. World Animal Foundation states that 10 million animals in the US alone each year die of abuse and 60% of those are dogs. This not only leads to an over capacity of dogs in shelters but new policies such as euthanasia condemn this crisis, as putting dogs down is the only way to help the overcapacity of dogs in the shelters.

Jazzy’s smile makes Smith’s day! She’s a very happy dog and is known as “a girl’s best friend.” Jazzy loves taking a walk with her favorite person, Smith. Photo used with permission from Smith (‘25).

Sarah Smith (’25), a student at Green Hope, employee at Proactive Dog Training in Cary, and volunteer for Neshama Animal Rescue, shares her personal experience with this issue; “The organization I volunteer with is a small-scale non-profit. The animals that are taken to stay at a variety of foster homes until adopted. We have reached max capacity a number of times when there aren’t enough people to take in all the dogs. Local shelters have to euthanize huge numbers of dogs every year because of space in shelters.” 

Smith shares her experience and story with her dog. She rescued her dog Jasmine (Jazzy) who is around 12 years old now and is Smith’s best friend, “She was abused and abandoned. Once she was found, no one gave her a chance at the shelter because of her smile. She is still anxious from her past, but now couldn’t be more loved. She has now been with us for most of my life and is the best dog I could have asked for.”

As many dogs get abused, here at Green Hope High School there is a Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) club which helps animals by raising money and awareness towards animal cruelty. The club participates in several fundraisers throughout the year and has supply drives, as well as raises money. Many of the donations go to shelters to help the dogs that they help rescue. One of the presidents of the club, Cailan Roy (‘25) says on behalf of the club that “We think helping dogs in these types of environments should be talked about more often. Not many people are aware of the danger dogs endure in these shelters without being adopted.”

If you are looking into getting a dog, check out your local shelter. All dogs deserve a long, happy, and healthy life.

— Sarah Smith ('24)

Many dogs everywhere and anytime, there are always local shelters or places where dogs are overfilled and need to be adopted. Many dogs are in need to find their special person and a caring home. If you already have your furry friend, you can still help spread the awareness or be a part of the organizations and donations.