Brij Bhatt (‘25) and Aidan Xu (‘25) heading off the court after a fierce doubles matchup. Photo used with permission from Rafik Khismatov (24).
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Back to back?
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Back to back?
Back to back?
Back to back?
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Back to back?

One hundred and one countries, one mission: G20 summit leaders discuss global issues

Photo by Davi Mendes on Unsplash
The 2018 G20 summit was one of many examples where the annual conference incited conversations surrounding pressing global events.

Created in response to several world crises in 1999, the G20 summit has served as a platform to unite discussion on international issues. Since 2008, these summits have involved member countries, heads of governments and diplomats from countries across the world.

Since its inception, the annual summit has become a critical place to address major global issues in the world, including the global economy, climate change and sustainable development. Major economies make up the G20, including both developing and industrialized economies. 

The 2023 summit’s motto was “Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam,” a phrase in Sanskrit which roughly translates to “one Earth, one Family, one Future” in English. This motto was largely chosen because of the potential future impacts of climate change and collective concern for future generations. Member countries pledged to invest in infrastructure, shipping networks and railways that stretch from India to Europe, creating jobs and increasing the economy in these regions.

In regards to how the summit may impact the United States, Green Hope Model U.N. President Sanjana Juvvadi ’24 stated that the summit played a key role in addressing how the U.S. will engage in the Russia-Ukraine war in the coming months. “One of the big parts of the summit was addressing issues that have [arose] from the Russia-Ukraine war, which sets a page for future U.S involvement, as they are trying to uphold the U.N principals and the U.N charter,” said Juvvadi.

The implications of such could be local, Ms. McBrayer, a social studies teacher at Green Hope, said. “[Since] North Carolina has one of the largest military bases in the world with Fort Liberty, formerly Fort Bragg. You would see a number of people who serve there being sent if we were to get directly involved.” 

When asked how the G20 Summit would affect North Carolinians, Ms. McBrayer believed that the economic conversations that took place during the summit will provide areas to expand the economy and employment. “The economic plans they had in place could provide the United States with an opportunity to help grow its economy. [T]his could turn into eventual job opportunities for people living in North Carolina,” she said.

Another student, Green Hope Model U.N. Vice President Ishaan Subhash (’24), noted that sustainability was a central theme to the G20 summit. “One of the main things that the G20 focuses on for developed countries is limiting pollution and consumption,” he said. “G20 is a way for all the leading countries to work together and they decide one thing to work on and work together to reach that goal.”

One of the big parts of the summit was addressing issues that have arised from the Russia-Ukraine war, which sets a page for future U.S involvement

— Sanjana Juvvadi ('24)

Juvvadi (’24) added that the summit’s ability to bring various countries together is important in the current political climate. “Since the world is going through many crises, like the Russia-Ukraine War and climate crises, many of the G20 countries at the summit produce 80-90% of fossil fuels.” 

The next G20 summit will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil from Nov. 18 through Nov. 19. The agenda priorities for the summit revolve around social inclusion, the fight against hunger and sustainable development.