Brij Bhatt (‘25) and Aidan Xu (‘25) heading off the court after a fierce doubles matchup. Photo used with permission from Rafik Khismatov (24).
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Back to back?
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Max Spiegel, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
Buckets full after finding fresh strawberries on a spring day, at DJs berry patch.
Trips in the Triangle: Berry picking
Annabella Monge, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
Back to back?
Back to back?
Trips in the Triangle: Berry picking
Back to back?
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Back to back?

Spanish Soccer Federation chief refuses to resign amid criticism of controversial kiss

As Luis Rubiales stands firm in his denial of his role in the incident, soccer players around the world stand up for 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup winner Jenni Hermoso.
Photo by Vienna Reyes on Unsplash
Spanish Soccer Federation chief refuses to resign amid protests against his behavior during a controversial incident involving soccer player Jenni Hermoso.

This past week, controversy and scandal have surrounded Spanish Soccer Federation chief Luis Rubiales and Women’s World Cup winning player Jennifer “Jenni” Hermoso. 

As Jenni Hermoso walked down the stage to receive her World Cup medal, what should have been one of the best moments of her life quickly turned into a heavily publicized scandal between her and Luis Rubiales. Hermoso, part of the winning Spanish World Cup squad, was kissed directly on the lips by Rubiales as she received her medal. Rubiales quickly received widespread criticism, with many claiming his act was inappropriate and humiliating for Hermoso. 

“I felt vulnerable and a victim of an impulse-driven, sexist, out of place act without any consent on my part.” Hermoso wrote on an Instagram post on Aug. 25. 

Following a week of intense backlash, Rubiales has yet to resign from his position as President of the Spanish Soccer Federation and claims that his actions were justified. Asserting that the kiss was consensual, Rubiales defended the unwarranted act in a speech to the Spanish Soccer Federation., “The thing with the kiss, which I said was free, was mutual, which was with consent, but obviously, I still have to ask for forgiveness for the context in which it occurred. I’m not living outside of the world and I know that I made a mistake in this,” he said. “But do we think that this merits the witch hunt which I’m suffering? Do you really believe that?” Rubiales claimed that the reason he kissed Hermoso was to comfort her since she had missed a penalty. He also referred to the backlash to the kiss as “false feminism”. 

“Contigo Jenni” 

In response to Rubiales’ refusal to resign, female and male soccer players from around the world are standing in solidarity with Hermoso. Many soccer players, including American and Spanish World Cup champions Alex Morgan and Andre Iniesta, have taken to social media to express their outrage and disappointment. However, support for Hermoso goes further than just social media. Eleven coaches and staff for the Spanish women’s team have resigned in protest. 

A statement released by the Spanish women’s team on social media platform X, formerly Twitter, reads “The undersigned, in light of the unacceptable attitude and statements made by the head of the federation, have taken the decision to resign from their positions.” Those who resigned included assistant coaches Javier Lerga and Montse Tomé. In the statement, female staff members claimed they were ‘obliged’ to sit in the front row, in order to give the appearance of support in favor of Rubiales. Hermoso herself said that she was put under ‘continuous pressure’ by the Spanish Soccer Federation (Spanish FA) to make a public statement justifying Rubiales’s actions. 

European clubs AC Milan and Atletico Madrid paid tribute to Hermoso, holding up a white banner with the words ‘Contigo Jennifer Hermoso’, meaning ‘With You Jennifer Hermoso’ in Spanish. Many National Women’s Soccer League teams, including San Diego Wave and Orlando Pride have worn white wristbands with ‘Contigo Jenni’ written on them. The widespread support for Jenni has led many to dub this moment as soccer’s “#MeToo” movement. 

On Saturday, Aug. 26, FIFA officially announced Rubiales’s suspension. “The chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee, Jorge Ivan Palacio (Colombia), in use of the powers granted by article 51 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code (FDC), has decided today to provisionally suspend Mr. Luis Rubiales from all football-related activities at national and international level.” FIFA also warned Rubiales and the Spanish Soccer Federation to avoid contacting Jenni Hermoso or those close to her. In response to his suspension, the Spanish FA appointed deputy Vice President Pedro Rocha Junca as interim president. 

The Spanish FA Stands Up For Rubiales 

Do you think I have to resign? Well, I’m going to tell you something. I’m not going to resign! I’m not going to resign! I won’t resign! I’m not going to resign! I’m not going to resign!

— Luis Rubiales

In a statement released by the Spanish FA on their website, Rubiales agreed to comply with the ongoing FIFA investigation. “Luis Rubiales has stated that he will defend himself legally via the competent bodies, has full confidence in the FIFA bodies and reiterates that, in this way, he is being given the opportunity to begin his defense so that the truth prevails and his complete innocence is proven.” 

The Spanish FA also threatened Hermoso with legal action. With a staunch stance maintaining Rubiales’s innocence, they said on their website, “The RFEF [Royal Spanish Football Federation] and the President will show each of the lies that are spread either by someone on behalf of the player or, if applicable, by the player herself.” 

Sparking extensive discussions and international debate, Rubiales continues to defend his actions and will pursue legal action in response to all allegations. Meanwhile, soccer teams and communities around the world rally around Hermoso through the unfolding investigation. 

UPDATE: As of September 10th, 2023, Rubiales officially resigned from his position as President of the Spanish Soccer Federation.

View Comments (6)
$1000
$1000