Green Hope Men’s Tennis: Off to a strong start

GH Falcon Staff

A successful doubles match with Aidan Xu (’25) and Stephen Gervase (’26).

Aditi Bhadauria, Sports Editor

Green Hope’s Men’s Tennis is raising expectations this year with an undefeated streak of wins as the early season starts. The team has high hopes to continue this streak as Spring goes on with eyes fixated on the State Championship title.

Starting off the season, the Falcons had their first match against Apex Friendship on February 26th- resulting in a sweeping 9-0 win. On February 28th, the team went against Leesville Road, taking 3 of the 6 singles matches, consisting of impressive performances from Aidan Xu (‘25), Vivek Indlamuri (‘25), and Neel Varadan (‘26). With the wins from 2 out of 3 doubles matches, the day ended with a 5-4 close win against Leesville Road. Coach Jones and Assistant Coach Ashvin Inala, a former Green Hope student, reflect on the beginning of this Spring. Jones said, “We expect to have a really good season this year coming off of last year where the team finished second in the state. An overall team goal for this season is making the state finals again and having another chance to win the state title.”

Co-Captain Josh Bang (‘23) explains what training looks like, “Practices are composed of challenge matches; with players on the team playing each other to replicate that competitive match environment, giving our players more chances to practice before competition day. Drills and daily practices after school go into the framework of competing and getting ready to play.”

On March 1st, the team went against Panther Creek who proved to be tough competition for the day. Taking wins from 5 out of 6 singles matches and continuing a quality performance from the team, Stephen Gervase (‘26) and Alfred Ye (‘26) secured the win. With a doubles win as well the evening ended with a big 6-3 clutch in the Fight for 55.

Following the team’s big win, Bang comments that, “It’s important to me to create an inclusive and friendly environment that encourages team spirit, showcasing support for one another.”

Co-Captain Brij Bhatt (‘25) expresses the biggest team goal. He notes that they are “ working towards achievements like winning Regionals and States, starting with matches from local schools and building from it.” With wins against highly ranked schools in the area, captains Josh Bang and Brij Bhatt continue to lead practices and warmups, overall uniting the team to continue their undefeated streak. The dynamic of the team always plays a role in success. Bhatt explained that the abundance of underclassmen this season has aided in the team development since most of the players have previously met.

As the season moves forward, with another dominant win against Middle Creek 9-0 on March 6th, the Green Hope Men’s Tennis Team is only beginning this journey. The Falcons look forward to their future successes!