Taking home hardware: Green Hope’s cross country win

Green Hope Athletics

The Men’s Cross Country team finished their season with a victory in the State Championship.

Neil Parmar, Features Editor

After a grueling season, Green Hope’s Men’s Cross Country finished with a State Championship win, bringing the title home for the third time in school history. 

Last week the Falcons traveled to Kernersville, near Winston-Salem, to compete in North Carolina High School Athletic Association’s 4A Division XC Competition. The team was largely successful with high placements across the board. 

At states, Gavin Hansen (‘23) placed third overall in the state for the Men’s 5k. Other Falcons were not far behind with Luke Young (‘23) placing 21st at states, Liam Young (‘23) placing 25th, Andrew Vo (‘23) placing 44th, Sebastian Percival-Shim (‘24) placing 62nd and Seamus O’Driscoll (‘25) placing 104th.

The Falcons filled up the ranks with six of this season’s runners placing into Green Hope’s top 50 list of fastest runners. Hansen placed 3rd in school history, Luke Young placed 6th, Liam Young placed 13th, Vo placed 24th, Dax Mahone (’24) placed 44th, Percival-Shim placed 45th and O’Driscoll placed 52nd. 

Hansen said winning the state title was very difficult and “it took a lot of time and a lot of working out. The team put a lot of effort in and ran in all conditions even when we didn’t want to.” 

The team’s hard work paid off, culminating in a record-setting season for Men’s Cross Country.

Trophies and awards were displayed in the commons to celebrate the State Championship win. (Green Hope Athletics)