Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Green Hope security guard, Clyde Smith, poses for a picture as he gets ready to perform his lunchtime duties.
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith
Deepa Ramesh, Zoe Westerlund, and Jason HuangApril 24, 2024
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith

Summer jobs for students

Getting a job while still going to highschool is a good way to earn some money and can be added to your resume. Photo used with permission from Malaya Sadler on Unsplash

Summer break approaches and with that comes a multitude of opportunities. These opportunities include the many internships and jobs that open up to students during the summer. In this article, the GH Falcon has composed a list of internships and jobs that one could take during the three-month break.

Lifeguard

Being a lifeguard allows one to stay fit while making money. To become a lifeguard one must be physically strong and pass a lifeguard course. The requirements needed to pass the lifeguard course consist of swimming 300 yards continuously to demonstrate breath control, completing a timed event on a course in 1 minute and 40 seconds and swimming 20 yards with no stop. These rigorous requirements ensure lifeguards have the physical ability to save endangered swimmers. Some places that hire lifeguards in North Carolina are Triangle Aquatic Center, YMCA and Life Time. The average pay for a lifeguard is $13.59 per hour.

Fast Food Worker

Working at a fast food restaurant is a common job to enter the workforce. Most fast food workers take orders, serve customers and clean the storefront. Many restaurants hire students, making it an accessible job for highschool students. Some examples of restaurants in Cary are McDonald’s, Chick-fil-A and Wendy’s. The salary for fast food workers ranges from $8.17 to $16.11. Some skills that can be learned from working in a fast-food restaurant are communication skills and memorization skills.

Grocery Store Worker

Similar to fast food jobs, becoming a grocery store worker is another accessible option to look at. When working as a grocery store worker, a student will most likely work as a clerk manning the checkout station or restocking shelves. The salary range for this job is between $7.69 to $18.27. Some grocery stores in Cary are Lowes, the Fresh Market, Harris Teeter and Wegmans.

Tutor

Another job that one could take up during the summer is tutoring. If one is good at working with younger children, then tutoring may be a good fit. To become a tutor, one can simply connect with friends or family to find someone that needs tutoring. One should be proficient in the subject that they are tutoring. One can also tutor through local organizations, such as Grade Potential and Varsity Tutors. If tutoring through an organization, salary can range between $20-30 per hour. The salary for self-employed tutoring solely depends on the tutor as one can decide their salary.

If you are looking to earn money to fund your expenditures, feel free to check out some of the jobs on this list to fill up your summer break.