Concerts are a fun way to interact with your favorite artists surrounded by friends and fans. Photo by Anthony DELANOIX on Unsplash
Trips in the Triangle: Upcoming Concerts
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 12, 2024
Having a vacuum cleaner and trash bags helps complete cleaning with ease.
Felicity Falcon: Spring Cleaning
Felicity Falcon, Advice-Giver-in-Chief • April 12, 2024
As the 2023-24 school year wraps up, juniors prepare for college applications. Photo used with permission from Philippe Bout on Unsplash
Junior checklist for the college application season
Justin Jackson, Staff Writer • April 11, 2024
Played in the Hornets home arena, Charlotte played host to first and second-round matchups including UNC vs. Michigan State.
March Madness recap
Mason Dean and Mason ClineApril 11, 2024
Brinley Zalc (’24) is #5 on the womens soccer team and defends against an opponent from Athens Drive. Photo used with permission from Brinley Zalc.
Spring sports: Start of season recap
Armaan Minhas, Staff Writer • March 22, 2024
Felicity Falcon: Spring Cleaning
March Madness recap
Spring sports: Start of season recap
March Madness recap
Spring sports: Start of season recap

Critical college choices

Deciding where to spend the most important years of your life, post high school, is an extremely important decision that has a plethora of critical choices to make.
Mason Cline
Visiting a college and spending time on campus is the best way to understand what life there is like.

With the deadline to pay a deposit being May 1, time to make a decision and commit to attending a university, there is a sense of urgency in making considerations.

Location

Location is arguably the most important factor to be taken into consideration when choosing where to stay during the most transformative years of one’s life. Attending an institution that is close or far from home makes a massive impact on how much one can rely on their parents, other family, or friends. For example: if one gets sick while in high school, they traditionally rely heavily on their parents for getting to and from the doctor, food and other essentials. This reliance is still possible and a great convenience if attending a college in a location where either one or their parents can easily offer assistance.

However, if one lives several hours away, perhaps in a distant state or region of the country then this reliance is suddenly taken away. Being able to depend on those that one previously lived with can be helpful, however also being fully independent without the safety of being able to fall back onto support can be developmental and allow one to grow as a person. Instead of using old reliances with parents, needing to branch out and grow intimate connections with friends that one could be able to rely on is a critical experience of  growing as a person. For many, forming these connections and strong relationships is the most important part of developing as a person in college. It is these same bonds that throughout the college experience will help one network when it comes time to search for internships and even a job after graduation.

Financial Cost

With public universities charging much higher tuition for out-of-state students, attending a university in-state is the standard for most to avoid unnecessary out-of-state tuition. The financial cost of obtaining post high school education is a major roadblock to seeking higher education for many- being one of the biggest reasons people do not go on to achieve a higher degree.

However, jobs that require a college education and degrees frequently pay much more than jobs that don’t. This causes attending college to pay off as the long-term profits from a higher salary far outweigh the cost of tuition over four years. 

Another impacting factor is the method of payment, many parents contribute financially to some extent. The amount of funding, if any, that parents and family provide directly impacts how much the student must cover themselves. Many take advantage of loans since they will only achieve a large enough salary to pay their tuition as they go once they graduate. 

Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA also is a great avenue for students to receive government aid to attend college that they would not otherwise be able to pay. Obtaining assistance in paying for a higher education is a great way to ease the financial strain of a person who otherwise wouldn’t be able to pay for and attend college.

Quality of Education

The standard of the education and how much it is valued by employers is a major factor in determining which colleges one would be content with attending. Ultimately the goal of attending college is to be a graduate of that institution, different colleges have varying levels of prestige that is conveyed unto those that are alumni. For example, just being an alumnus of an ivy league college such as Harvard or Yale causes the alumni to be viewed in a much higher regard which generates an immense advantage when applying for jobs and programs. 

Beyond just the prestige of an institution itself, different institutions have a variety of different programs that are offered. Since many of these are specific to a field of study such as medicine or humanities, it is worth exploring what general subject one would like to major in so that they have the opportunity to explore the programs, clubs, and experiences that are offered at specific institutions. For example, although an institution may not be extremely competitive to get into, a specific program such as mathematics at that institution may be one of the best in the country.

Experience

With every waking moment of one’s day being determined by the institution they attend it is critical that the entire experience is enjoyable. In order to maintain grades and graduate, one must ensure that their mental health remains healthy. A critical part is maintaining happiness through engaging socially with peers and enjoying day to day life. Campus life varies drastically based upon the colleges with some colleges such as East Carolina University having a reputation as a school rampant with parties and a vibrant nightlife. Finding the right social experience that mixes with the experience one is looking for is critical to ensuring that the college experience is enjoyed and contributes to keeping one happy.