Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Max Spiegel, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
Buckets full after finding fresh strawberries on a spring day, at DJs berry patch.
Trips in the Triangle: Berry picking
Annabella Monge, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
Green Hope security guard, Clyde Smith, poses for a picture as he gets ready to perform his lunchtime duties.
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith
Deepa Ramesh, Zoe Westerlund, and Jason HuangApril 24, 2024
Trips in the Triangle: Berry picking
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith

How to spend an extended weekend

Spending+time+with+family+and+friends%2C+regardless+of+the+activity%2C+is+a+great+go-to+when+considering+what+to+do+on+a+teacher+workday+or+holiday+for+an+extended+weekend.+
Peggy Chen
Spending time with family and friends, regardless of the activity, is a great go-to when considering what to do on a teacher workday or holiday for an extended weekend.

In between the hectic weeks of exams, class projects and test preparation, many students look forward to teacher workdays or holidays that create three or four-day weekends for students and staff to enjoy.

The time away from school is greatly appreciated for a variety of reasons. It often grants Falcons the ability to take a well-deserved break and relax, catch up on sleep and engage in recreational activities they otherwise may not have time for. For those looking for activities to do, the Green Hope Falcon recommends several past times to enjoy a much-needed break from the five-day grind throughout the school year.

Spending time on the water is a great way to pass the extra time. Whether it be fishing with friends, or taking some alone time by the beach, oceans and lakes are a great way to go. (Armaan Minhas)

Fishing

Fishing can be the perfect activity to help get away from the school setting and take a break from academic work. With several major lakes such as Jordan and Crabtree lakes there are plenty of options for fishing on large bodies of water. In addition, there are also countless smaller ponds available for easy fishing without the time required to travel. If you have a kayak, boat or know someone that does, fishing on the water can be a great way to spend time either alone or with friends. Going out fishing with friends allows for people to spend time conversing and can be a great way to catch up with a friend you haven’t seen in some time. 

Hiking

Going out and spending time in the woods can be a great way to appreciate nature as well as getting some movement in — which is critical to both mental and physical well being. Depending on the experience that one is searching for, one can opt either to simply go alone for a social break or one go with friends to and engage in social interaction. Going with friends can also help avoid boredom during exercise and a great excuse to grab post-workout smoothies or snacks. 

Starting that new show that you’ve heard people raving about or finishing an old film you’ve been putting off is a great way to relax and enjoy yourself without putting in too much effort. Photo used with permission from Alin Surdu via Unsplash.

Start a new series

Both hiking and fishing require the cooperation of the weather, which can make it difficult to find an activity to engage with on rainier days. Regardless of the weather, however, starting a new television series is a great way to burn through time and start a new adventure from the comfort of your home. Just as with most other activities, this can also be done either alone or with loved ones, depending on their availability and whether you seek more introspective or social time. 

Get caught up on schoolwork

Oftentimes many classes have long term projects that are assigned months in advance. In order to prevent those assignments from being forgotten, a great way to stay on top of them is to work on them during teacher workdays. Additionally, teacher workdays can also be a great way to get caught up on assignments and classwork that one is already falling behind on. With no additional work being assigned over a teacher workday it can be a great opportunity to reinforce concepts in class and review notes so you can return to school refreshed and prepared to learn. 

For many, a combination of these activities will work best in order to balance the need to relax while also staying on top of work. Whether you decide to stay at home the entire weekend or spend it outdoors, it is critical to find activities that you enjoy. After all, it may be several weeks before the next extended weekend or holiday break!