Ryan Musteikis, number 11, walks the field during a game as he gets ready to play midfield. Photo used with permission from Ryan Musteikis.
Live, love, LAX!
May 6, 2024
Live, love, LAX!
Deepa Ramesh and Zoe Westerlund May 6, 2024
The shop is one of five in North Carolina, with the others being in Raleigh, Garner, Apex and Rolesville. Soon, they will be opening a location in Six Forks.
Trips in the Triangle: Sodabox
Max Spiegel, Staff Writer • May 2, 2024
Campus Chronicles: Its closing time
Campus Chronicles: It's closing time
Regan Orlando and Neil Parmar May 2, 2024
Corinne Isaacs (25) and Ivana Gomez (25) after finishing the 200m dash, placing first and third. Picture used with permission from Coach Julie Ross.
Green Hope outdoor track & field takes on the SWAC Conference meet
Miguel Carrasco Gomez, Staff Writer • May 6, 2024
Brij Bhatt (‘25) and Aidan Xu (‘25) heading off the court after a fierce doubles matchup. Photo used with permission from Rafik Khismatov (24).
Back to back?
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Live, love, LAX!
Trips in the Triangle: Sodabox
Max Spiegel, Staff Writer • May 2, 2024
Campus Chronicles: Its closing time
Campus Chronicles: It's closing time
Back to back?
Live, love, LAX!
May 6, 2024
Back to back?

The boy who beat Tetris

Y-Nhu Do
As a player reaches higher scores, Tetris becomes more difficult as blocks begin to fall at faster speeds.

Blocks fall before 13-year-old Oklahoma native Willis Gibson’s eyes as he quickly adjusts them to fit through the gaps between the blocks that have already landed. As an L-shaped block falls into place, an entire row vanishes and Gibson’s score reads 999,999. Gibson stares in awe at his screen and begins to celebrate his record-breaking achievement. On Dec. 21, Gibson beat Tetris Classic, reaching such a high score that the game freezed.

Tetris was created by Russian software engineer Alexey Pajitnov in 1984. To play, one must stop falling block shapes from accumulating by strategically placing the blocks to create complete rows. Completed rows disappear, creating more space for additional shapes. Tetris began to gain popularity after video game designer Henk Rogers discovered it at a Las Vegas trade show and pushed to release it as part of Nintendo.

Many versions of Tetris were invented over the years, such as Tetris 8, Tetris 99 and Tetris Classic. (Tri Do)

Originally, many people considered beating Tetris impossible, because it was believed that the program could continue generating blocks forever. As more and more people began playing the game, players learned that the code for the game would stop working when the values became too high to process. Considered the “end” of Tetris, this point had never been reached through normal means until December of 2023.

Willis Gibson first started playing Tetris competitively in 2021 and has become one of the top players in the community. He brought about a new era of Tetris, with more players trying to replicate his accomplishment.