Davis Drive Park has fields, Greenways and trails.
Gallery: Parks around town
Mason Cline, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024
Game subscription services have been rapidly increasing in popularity, with the largest service, PlayStation Plus Premium, reporting a user count of 47.4 million, leading to many believing that services will be the future of the game industry.
Gaming in the future
Miguel Carrasco Gomez, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024
Quiz: Which lacrosse player are you?
Quiz: Which lacrosse player are you?
Regan Orlando and Mason ClineFebruary 23, 2024
Pinning down the win: Green Hope womens wrestling
Pinning down the win: Green Hope women's wrestling
Zoe Westerlund and Deepa RameshFebruary 23, 2024
Gallery: Parks around town
Gaming in the future
Quiz: Which lacrosse player are you?
Quiz: Which lacrosse player are you?

Five scholarship opportunities for high school students

For many seniors, college application season is a significant priority. While completing college apps, students also search for scholarships to make their future plans more affordable. From scholarships that don’t require essays to ones that give out thousands of dollars, the GH Falcon composed a list of the top scholarships for high school students.

Niche Scholarship

If you are looking for a scholarship that requires little to no effort, then Niche Scholarships are the way to go. These do not require an essay, a minimum GPA or a recommendation. Niche scholarships are given out every month and the scholarship is randomly given to one winner. The recipient is awarded $2,000. 

Many students take out loans to pay off college tuition. However, one can also earn a college scholarship to lighten the load of money. (Tri Do)

Coca-Cola Scholarship

With 91,000 applicants, the Coca-Cola Scholarship is regarded as one of the most prestigious scholarships students can get. 150 winners are chosen, with each being awarded $20,000 to use at their college of choice. The Coca-Cola Scholarship requires that the applicants must be in high school and have a minimum 3.00 GPA. The scholarship does not require any essay and the application period runs from August to October each year. 

National Merit Scholarship

The National Merit Scholarship is a challenging scholarship to acquire. To be eligible for this scholarship, one must take the PSAT during their junior year of high school and get a qualifying score (which varies from year to year). They then must complete an application, which includes writing an essay and getting a recommendation letter. Applicants are evaluated based on their GPA, SAT/ACT score, extracurriculars and essay. National merit scholars receive $2,500 dollars for any school they would like to attend. Many colleges also award winners with additional monetary benefits.

Many universities give bonuses to people who have won scholarships because they indicate a student’s character. (Tri Do)

Doodle for Google Scholarship

Doodle for Google is a scholarship for those who want to make use of their artistic talents. To receive this scholarship, one must draw a logo for Google. The design will be evaluated by multiple judges, and the winning doodle will be placed on Google’s homepage for a day. The national winner will receive a $30,000 scholarship for any college they attend, a $50,000 technology package for the school they currently attend and Google hardware and merch. The five finalists who did not win the scholarship receive a $5000 scholarship for any college they desire and some technology from Google. Every year, Doodle for Google opens on Jan. 11 and runs through March. 

Dell Scholarship Program

The Dell scholarship program gives money to students from low-income families. The scholarship has multiple requirements, including a minimum GPA of 2.40 and evidence of overcoming adversity and a need for financial aid. The winner of this scholarship is awarded $20,000. For 2023, the scholarship opened on Oct. 1 and will close on Dec. 1.

No matter what college you decide to attend, scholarships can help you reach your goals. Feel free to check out these scholarships as you create your post-high school plans.