Brij Bhatt (‘25) and Aidan Xu (‘25) heading off the court after a fierce doubles matchup. Photo used with permission from Rafik Khismatov (24).
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Finding plants around you can give be a good source for fresh flowers, especially as they are all blooming late Apr. into May.
Flowers and festivities: May Day
Annabella Monge, Staff Writer • May 1, 2024
Back to back?
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Max Spiegel, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
Back to back?
Flowers and festivities: May Day
Back to back?
Back to back?
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Back to back?

A visitor’s guide to the NC State Fair ‘23

From greasy funnel cakes to make-you-dizzy rides, the annual North Carolina State Fair has been a cherished part of fall culture since its founding in 1853, attracting millions of visitors from across the state each year. For $13 from Oct. 13-22, 2023, one can enjoy a variety of foods, rides, games and other fun entertainment.

The variety of foods and different tastes the state fair has to offer has been an enticing aspect for fairgoers. Some vendors offer the classic sweet foods: deep fried Oreos, funnel cakes, candied grapes and cotton candy. Other vendors market classic savory foods: mac and cheese, loaded fries, Korean corn dogs, mozzarella sticks, roasted corn and turkey legs. Regardless of one’s preferences, the fair has proven to be an event that caters to everyone’s tastes.

Green Hope senior Caroline Nguyen (‘24) echoed this sentiment. “My favorite part was definitely the variety of foods the fair had to offer. Every corner you turned, there was something new you could try. There was so much to choose from; it was hard to decide.”

As visitors walk through the hundreds of vendors at the fair, they may pass stands filled with hundreds of brightly colored large stuffed animals. From shooting baskets, tossing a ball into a goldfish bowl or breaking glass beer bottles, there are a plethora of opportunities to win one of these fun prizes. 

Green Hope senior Shreya Ravi (‘24) touched on this aspect of the fair. “I loved playing all the different games and trying to win a prize. I didn’t win a prize for some of the games I played, but there are so many that you’re bound to win a prize at one of them,” she said.

The State Fair’s vast collection of thrilling (and family-friendly) rides continue to be a staple attraction for visitors. The 2023 State Fair contains four new exciting rides: Techno, Tesla AC, Venetian Carousel and Wipeout. However, for those who love the classics, some of the most beloved rides such as the Merry Go Round, and the many different Ferris wheel rides are still there for endless enjoyment.  For the more adventurous, the fair offers bull rides and a haunted mansion. 

Beyond fun rides and tasty foods, the North Carolina State Fair takes pride in its agricultural and artistic displays. The Got to Be NC Agricultural Pavilion spotlights local farmers, giving visitors an opportunity to learn more about the agricultural practices of North Carolina and purchase locally grown products. 

The fairgrounds also feature winding pathways of beautiful flowers and gardens grown by local organizations. More than 30 demonstrations will take place during the course of the fair and one can stop by to learn more about how to grow roses, bonsai and take care of plants. Visitors may even have the opportunity to peep at a live fruit carving demonstration.

The fair also displays different art pieces and recognizes talented high school students in the area through its various visual and art competitions. From Green Hope, Sofia Sande Fernandez (‘25), Ava Kruczko (‘26), Alex Steele (‘26) and Abigail Booth (‘25) gained recognition for their artistic works. 

Regardless of whether one chooses to indulge in some funnel cake, pose for a caricature or gaze at the neon lights from atop the Ferris wheel at night, there is certainly something for everyone to enjoy at the NC State Fair. While there are just a couple days left to enjoy the 2023 season, the North Carolina State Fair will return next year in the Fall of 2024, continuing to hold a special place in the hearts of many North Carolinians.