Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Green Hope security guard, Clyde Smith, poses for a picture as he gets ready to perform his lunchtime duties.
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith
Deepa Ramesh, Zoe Westerlund, and Jason HuangApril 24, 2024
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith

Trips in the Triangle: Arts

The Denial of St. Peter displayed in the North Carolina Museum of Art. Photo used with permission from Maria Malgicheva (25).
“The Denial of St. Peter” displayed in the North Carolina Museum of Art. Photo used with permission from Maria Malgicheva (’25).

The Triangle features a vast and vibrant amalgamation of arts that caters to all niche interests of the community. From watching the Broadway play “Wicked” at the Durham Performing Arts Center to browsing galleries that hold mesmerizing paintings at the North Carolina Museum of Art, the Triangle provides something for everyone to enjoy. No matter what time of year, these spaces are all open for visiting, and the GH Falcon has compiled a list of arts spaces in the area to enjoy with friends and family.

North Carolina Museum of Art

The North Carolina Museum of Art is the most renowned art museum in North Carolina, possessing over five thousand years of rich, diverse and educative art history. With collections of European, American, African, Egyptian and Jewish pieces spanning many centuries, alongside many other contemporary artworks, the museum provides a comprehensive and diverse experience for visitors. Complementary to their indoor exhibitions, the attraction also features an expansive outdoor park: the Ann and Jim Goodnight Museum Park, which seamlessly integrates art into its surrounding outdoor environment. The park features a collection of large-scale sculptures, art installations and walking trails, creating an immersive experience for visitors. The North Carolina Museum of Art is not just a space for passive observation; it actively engages visitors through educational programs, special exhibitions that change throughout the year, and community events. Whether attending a lecture, participating in a workshop, or enjoying a themed event, visitors can deepen their understanding and appreciation of art in a dynamic and interactive environment. The best part about this museum? Visits are all free!

The Durham Performing Arts Center Orchestra has four sections and seating distance from the stage ranges from just 6 feet to about 100 feet. (Neil Parmar)

Durham Performing Arts Center

From concerts to plays; orchestra performances to comedy shows; and ballets to speeches, the Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC) channels multiple performing art forms into one venue. With various shows cycling through the center every week, an endless variety of entertainment awaits patrons, ensuring that there is always something to suit everyone. DPAC’s allure lies not only in its versatility in showings but also in its commitment to delivering quality productions. The acoustically rich auditorium and innovative stage systems enhance the audience’s experience, intensifying each performance and engrossing the audience fully into the performance. Whether attendees seek the thrill of Broadway, the refined elegance of a classical orchestra, or the laughter-inducing performances of a comedian, DPAC stands as a dynamic vessel where the magic of live performance comes to life. 

Nasher Museum of Art

Located on Duke University’s campus, the Nasher Museum of Art hosts a variety of exhibitions that range across all eras, genres, mediums and countries. While Nasher holds a significant collection of historical artworks, the museum holds an emphasis on modern and contemporary art. As stated by their mission, the museum “is dedicated to presenting innovative and accessible collections, exhibitions, publications and programs that stimulate intellectual discourse, enrich individual lives and generate new knowledge. Drawing on the resources of a leading research university, the museum serves as a laboratory for interdisciplinary approaches.”

Cary Arts Center

Serving as an auditorium, art gallery, studio and classroom, the Cary Arts Center in Downtown Cary provides a community of diverse artists a space to share, execute and consume art of many disciplines. Year-round, the center highlights different artists through its curations in its gallery. Along with its feature exhibitions, the location holds a theater that showcases music performances, plays and more. As a community center, the space also provides classes and summer camps in all artistic disciplines for all ages; providing spaces for everyone.

Whether you want to learn about the visual history of the Ancient Greeks at the Nasher Museum of Art or you want to take a pottery class at the Cary Arts Center, the Triangle has a variety of opportunities to enjoy the arts. Whether alone or with friends and family, these places are all a great way to spend the day.