Ryan Musteikis, number 11, walks the field during a game as he gets ready to play midfield. Photo used with permission from Ryan Musteikis.
Live, love, LAX!
May 6, 2024
Live, love, LAX!
Deepa Ramesh and Zoe WesterlundMay 6, 2024
The shop is one of five in North Carolina, with the others being in Raleigh, Garner, Apex and Rolesville. Soon, they will be opening a location in Six Forks.
Trips in the Triangle: Sodabox
Max Spiegel, Staff Writer • May 2, 2024
HBO Max’s newest documentary, Brandy Hellvile & The Cult of Fast Fashion, seeks to expose the secrets behind the trendy and aesthetic nature of the popular brand, Brandy Mellvile.
Brandy Hellville: Do you fit in?
Deepa Ramesh, Staff Writer • May 2, 2024
Corinne Isaacs (25) and Ivana Gomez (25) after finishing the 200m dash, placing first and third. Picture used with permission from Coach Julie Ross.
Green Hope outdoor track & field takes on the SWAC Conference meet
Miguel Carrasco Gomez, Staff Writer • May 6, 2024
Brij Bhatt (‘25) and Aidan Xu (‘25) heading off the court after a fierce doubles matchup. Photo used with permission from Rafik Khismatov (24).
Back to back?
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Live, love, LAX!
Trips in the Triangle: Sodabox
Max Spiegel, Staff Writer • May 2, 2024
Brandy Hellville: Do you fit in?
Back to back?
Live, love, LAX!
May 6, 2024
Back to back?

New COVID-19 boosters released for use

Scientists have developed a new booster vaccine to combat new strands of COVID-19 this winter. 
With+the+winter+months+starting+the+CDC+and+FDA+encourage+ages+6+months+and+older+to+get+the+vaccine+as+winter+months+are+known+for+a+string+of+illnesses.+Photo+used+with+permission+from+the+CDC+via+Unsplash.+
With the winter months starting the CDC and FDA encourage ages 6 months and older to get the vaccine as winter months are known for a string of illnesses. Photo used with permission from the CDC via Unsplash.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) approved the latest COVID-19 vaccine to be administered by Pfizer-BioNtech, Moderna, and Novavax. The boosters are intended to prevent the spread of new omicron sub-variants of the virus, incuding XBB1.5, as well as other strands of the virus such as EG.5 and BA2.86 in late September.

Experts say that new sub-variants spread more rapidly and have milder effects than its predecessors. The virus is also easier to contract, and COVID-19 tests may continue to display as positive even as symptoms subside. 

New strands of COVID-19 continue to circulate, causing the continual need for boosters. Photo used with permission from Daniel Schludi via Unsplash.

The CDC began to recommend the new COVID-19 booster on Sept. 12. Since Oct. 11, over 7 million Americans in the United States have received the updated COVID-19 booster, according to data from the United States Department of Health and Human Services. However, some reports indicate that people are struggling to find vaccination appointments in pharmacies in well-populated areas with high demand for the new booster.

North Carolina contributes an average of 60 cases per day to the nearly 20,000 new COVID-19 cases reported daily in the United States. 

Some question the efficacy of the new boosters, as a majority of people recorded to contract the virus are vaccinated.

The CDC and FDA also encourage young adults and children older than six months to get the booster, as the virus has caused over 200,000 deaths since Jan. 2022. Among the people who have died from the virus, 600 were under the age of 19. 

Older people are also advised to receive the vaccine. People over the age of 50 are at risk of contracting further infections vulnerable when infected with the virus. These issues may also lead to long-term implications, such as chronic illness and immunodeficiency, declining the immune system’s responsiveness.

Certain recipients of prior COVID-19 vaccines question whether they can safely receive vaccines produced by companies different than the company that produced their initial vaccine dose due to reports of women aged 18 to 48 reportedly being diagnosed with rare blood clots after taking the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. 

As new boosters continue to roll out, their effects remain to be seen.