Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Green Hope security guard, Clyde Smith, poses for a picture as he gets ready to perform his lunchtime duties.
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith
Deepa Ramesh, Zoe Westerlund, and Jason HuangApril 24, 2024
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith

Felicity Falcon: Starting a new semester successfully

Hello falcons! Happy new semester! As this new term starts, there are a variety of challenges that may be intimidating to students. From new material to unknown classmates and unfamiliar teachers to foreign routines, the new semester can bring many challenges to students. Don’t fret though, Felicity Falcon has got you covered! I will try my best to help Green Hope students get accustomed and ready for a new beginning filled with success!

Having a morning routine consisting of things that will awaken you, such as brushing your teeth, is important for your learning during school. (Annabella Monge)

How to wake up on time

While you may have gotten used to sleeping in over break and can’t get out of bed, here are a few tips that could help you start the morning right and get into a morning routine:

1. Set an alarm in the morning around 20 minutes before you should actually get up for school. By setting an alarm earlier than usual, you can wake up slowly and have more time in the morning. As a result, you’ll have more time to get dressed more efficiently and have time for breakfast or get your bag ready before you leave.
  2. When you’re up and ready to go in the morning, following a strict routine with activities such as brushing your teeth, doing your hair, getting dressed, drinking water and putting on deodorant can bring energy to your day. Having fresh breath, and feeling presentable can carry you throughout the day, as it will make you feel put-together and awake. Following a routine will also lead to a more efficient morning, reducing the time wasted on thinking about what to do. 
  3. Lastly, ice water and mint toothpaste, or anything that feels cool, can wake you up. Drinking cold water, using minty toothpaste or even chewing mint gum increases your alertness, as it stimulates your nervous system. This energy can carry into the school day, improving learning and efficiency. 

How to get used to the new semester

Students will inevitably encounter new, scary curricula for the new semester; however, this fear is surmountable. By starting off the semester actively engaging in class, interacting with classmates and keeping up with assignments, you set a strong momentum for the year. You can also create group chats with classmates to get support and knowledge, as well as get accustomed to the class. 

How to make new connections with classmates

Being prepared with the school supplies you need for your new classes is essential and will set you up for success! Items like a calculator for math or a pencil for English are good to have. (Annabella Monge)

New semester, new classes, new teachers, new people, Now is the perfect time to make new friends! Connecting with students through schoolwork is one of the easiest ways to make friends because the work is a shared commonality. With that, you have reasons to meet up or FaceTime for school work, studying or projects. If the person is sitting next to you, most likely you will get to help each other out and start talking throughout the class. This is a great opportunity to get to know someone and have a chance to make a friend! 

How to connect with your teacher

Walking in on the first day of the semester, you are meeting your teacher for the first time and your teacher is meeting you for the first time as well. First impressions are important. Sharing a strong relationship with your teacher can enhance your learning, make your class experience better and create opportunities to request recommendations in the future. Here are some tips to bond with your new teacher:

1. Teachers love students who are engaged, so ask questions and relate to not only the classwork but also something personal they may have talked about. Raise your hand, ask questions and speak during class conversations. By doing so, the teacher will know you better and get along with you better. 
  2. Many teachers notice tardiness. Showing up late to class can be a sign of disrespect to the teacher and disturb important content, so be on time or early if possible!
  3. Being respectful to your teacher is essential to getting closer to him or her. Being respectful can include many things such as not speaking over the teacher, raising your hand when you have a question, having manners such as “please” and “thank you,” as well as not talking back and having an inappropriate attitude.

New semesters are always scary, but don’t be too hung up about failing– it’ll work out. I hope these tips help make the transition smoother!