ConGRADulations: A guide to throwing grad parties

Graduation parties are a common senior year tradition for many high school students. Photo used with permission from Patricia Beatrix Villanueva on Unsplash
Graduation parties come in a variety of formats. Some are for close family members while others are for multiple friends. Photo used with permission from Emmanuel Offei on Unsplash
Introduction

Graduation parties have been a part of senior tradition for over 100 years. These parties celebrate not only academic achievement but also recognize the new chapter in students’ lives. Graduating high school is a turning point for many people and by having a grad party, loved ones and friends are able to acknowledge the graduate’s accomplishments. A typical grad party includes friends and family as well as games and food. There will sometimes be speeches from parents or close relatives to properly congratulate and share their joy for the student.

Having snacks both indoors and outside during the party ensures all of your guests are well fed.
Overview

As the 2023-24 school year comes to a close, many seniors are beginning to celebrate their final chapter of high school. Year after year, students throw graduation parties to recognize their own success and have a good time with their friends and family. Down below is a guide to throw the best possible grad party.

People

Depending on the direction you want to go in, the people you invite are crucial to having a good time. There are two paths you can take when sending out your invitations: a family-oriented party or a celebration with your friends.

When you pick the people you want to have with you, the rest will fall into place as you assess the group’s idea of an enjoyable party. From here, you can determine the seating arrangements as well as the activities you want for your guests.

Activities

Grad parties can drag on without activities, so it’s important to consider this when you’re planning. To avoid boredom, provide yard games and other pastimes for people at your party.

Among the more popular games are ladder ball, corn hole and KanJam which all have easy set up and take down. All of these games can be played with partners, which is great to include more guests. Additionally, they work for people of all ages so no matter who you invite they will be able to participate.

On top of just games, there are other activities that you can create for everyone. A party favorite is a photo station. The easiest way to do this is by hanging up a blank bed sheet and putting balloons with your color choice next to it. This is also a great way to incorporate your future college colors if you plan on going to college.

Food

A main attraction at every party is the food. Since grad parties typically have a lot of people coming and going as they please, it’s easiest to have the guests serve themselves. An efficient way to provide food to everyone is catering.

Attempting to accommodate everyone’s dietary restrictions at the party is difficult which is why ordering a meal they can set up themselves, such as a sandwich or taco bar, is typically the best route to take.

Having snacks both indoors and outside during the party ensures all of your guests are well fed. (Regan Orlando)
Outfits

Graduation outfits help seniors stand out during their party and make them the center of attention for their special event. Many students opt to wear semi-formal clothing that matches the college they plan to attend. The GH Falcon created a quick graphic to help you decide on your grad party outfit.

Friends and family give graduates gifts to celebrate their hard work and the end of an important chapter. Photo used with permission from Amy Shamblen on Unsplash
Graduation gifts

After years of hard work, graduates receive many gifts to commemorate their great achievements from their loved ones. For those looking to give a great gift to graduates here is a list of some ideas.

iPad or tablet

Headed into college, many students need devices to accomplish the work assigned to them in class. This is the perfect excuse to give not only something that the student wants, but something the student needs. With the rise of technology, many students have made the transition from paper notebooks to digital devices for notetaking and so have professors in terms of assignments. In addition to the tablet, a case and stylus/smart pen to accompany the device is a good side gift.

Photo collage/photos

As these students move on, it is important to reflect on all they have accomplished and the memories they have made along the way. A great way to do this is by gifting grads a book of memories and photos to take with them to college. Though most college students won’t admit it, college makes even the toughest of them, a little bit homesick. A good way to combat this is by having pictures of the people that they miss with them when they are away at college.

Silk bed sheets

When taking the next step in life, a main worry is about living alone and having all the things needed to do that. A great gift for these students is bedding for their dorms, which makes their transition into college easier. When making the transition to college, many students end up with standard twin-sized beds that are common in on-campus housing.

Personalized tumbler

Many students find it hard to remember to take care of themselves during the initial transition to college. Buying a personalized tumbler can be both significant symbolically as well as practically, because students can use the water bottle when they enter college. Feel free to add an encouraging message or a nostalgic memory when personalizing the bottle.

Graduation parties are a celebration of seniors before they enter college. Photo used with permission from Brett Garwood on Unsplash
Conclusion

Grad parties are a fantastic way to acknowledge your successes as a student while also celebrating a significant milestone in your life. It’s not just about the party itself; it’s about what the party highlights. By creating an environment that’s filled with people who care about you, great food and entertainment, you are guaranteed to throw an amazing party.