Brij Bhatt (‘25) and Aidan Xu (‘25) heading off the court after a fierce doubles matchup. Photo used with permission from Rafik Khismatov (24).
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Back to back?
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Max Spiegel, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
Buckets full after finding fresh strawberries on a spring day, at DJs berry patch.
Trips in the Triangle: Berry picking
Annabella Monge, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
Back to back?
Back to back?
Trips in the Triangle: Berry picking
Back to back?
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Back to back?

Underclassmen on top: Women’s basketball

Valentina Garcia
Rachel Baldyga’s (right) favorite part of being on the basketball team is the many close friends she has made including Renee McClernon (’25) pictured with her on the left.

The clock ticks away in the final seconds of the fourth quarter as the shot goes up. It hangs in the air until the buzzer sounds and the ball swishes through the net. For Rachael Baldyga (‘26), this feeling is quite familiar, as she has surpassed expectations as an underclassmen on varsity. 

Baldyga sat down with the GH Falcon and answered some questions about her basketball journey, and the realities of varsity basketball for underclassmen.

What prompted an interest in basketball?

Like most young athletes, Baldyga’s father provided inspiration for initiating her career. “When I was about ten years old I became interested in playing. I immediately enjoyed basketball, especially because of the team aspect and because my dad used to play,” she explained. Baldyga’s father has consistently aided her throughout her endeavors within basketball, which created many memories between the two.

What were some early steps toward a high school basketball career?

“I played basketball at Davis Drive Middle School, which helped get me ready for the high school season with lots of practice and game time. I’ve also played AAU basketball for multiple teams during the past few years, which gave me more competition and preparation for high school.” Most AAU teams instill skills that translate to fast paced play, especially against teams that might be faster, stronger or bigger, which has helped Baldyga excel as an underclassmen playing against older competition.

As one of the most talented athletes in middle school, Baldyga received a lot of playing time at Davis Drive to prepare her for Green Hope basketball. Photo used with permission from Rachel Baldyga.

What were some expectations when entering high school in terms of athletics?

Baldyga had high expectations for the Green Hope basketball team, especially because it was headed by a new face representing the team. Baldyga’s freshman year, ex WNBA player Chasity Melvin became the head women’s basketball coach. She expressed, “I was glad that everyone was passionate about basketball because I knew it was going to be different from my AAU teams. Everyone was welcoming and interested in getting better which I enjoyed.” 

How was it being on JV?

Baldyga had quite the experience for Green Hope her freshman year, “I was like a floater; I was on JV and played a majority of my games with the JV team, but I would frequently get called up to play varsity games after my JV games if there was an injury or just whenever the coach needed me.” JV games are typically held a couple hours before varsity games, so Baldyga was able to bounce between the two on game days. Transitioning back and forth between levels proved to be challenging for her, especially because “the size difference and just overall skill difference between girls on each level made the transition nerve wracking.” Despite these nerves, Baldyga appreciated the challenge.

What’s the best part about being on varsity as an underclassmen?

Similar to most underclassmen, “the older players” are the best part for Baldyga. She reveals, “Looking up to all the girls is the best part. Since they are older and have more experience I’ve learned a lot from them and they are all amazing. Also the coaching staff has helped me tremendously with my transition into varsity basketball and Coach Melvin has been a great role model for me.”

What adversity is commonly faced as an underclassmen on varsity?

“Since I got to split time last year, there hasn’t been too much adversity, but the biggest problems are having to constantly prove myself every day in practice since I’m a younger player and Coach Melvin is the type of coach to make underclassmen work more than upperclassmen in order to earn playing time and respect.” While most coaches act this way, Baldyga knows this motivation will ensure she is a better athlete at the end of each season.

What should be anticipated for the next few years in Green Hope women’s basketball?

Baldyga is definitely aware of the future for the team. “We have seven seniors this year, so we’ll be losing a lot of both good players and role models, next year I’ll have to step up as a role model, but I think we can be successful both this year and for the next couple years to come.”

Rachael Baldyga has already made a big impact in the team’s first two wins, scoring three points per game and racking up roughly four rebounds in each contest. Her role will continue to grow as she blossoms into a key varsity contributor, which is quite the accomplishment for a sophomore.