The engines of Green Hope

Every day, over 2,000 students walk the halls at Green Hope High, but very few spend any time interacting with some of the individuals responsible for ensuring smooth educational operation.  It takes an army to run a school, and the GH army starts with five special individuals: Ms. Sommer Allen, Ms. Stephanie Eason, Ms. Angie Murrane, Ms. Cathy Dillon and Ms. Swati Karve. The GH Falcon sat down with these student service faculty members to bring awareness to their roles and develop an understanding of their impact on the student body.
The engines of Green Hope
Ms. Sommer Allen loves playing a role in the student body, frequently attending sport games and school dances.
Ms. Sommer Allen – Data Manager

At the beginning of each school year, Ms. Allen’s primary focus is “making sure we have a schedule.” “I come up with a way to put the teacher’s schedules in the system first and then put the student’s schedules in. I enroll new students and withdraw students that are leaving. I also render grades from teachers and create report cards.”

While organization and numbers are most of Ms. Allen’s job, she invests a lot of her spare time into the community at Green Hope. “I always do my best to show my face to students. I’m the advisor of the Falcon Frenzy so I’m at most of the sports events trying to engage kids and have a good time.” Ms. Allen thoroughly enjoys her major role not only with scheduling, but with the students who “make the experience here so great.”

Ms. Sommer Allen loves playing a role in the student body, frequently attending sport games and school dances. (Justin Jackson)
Ms. Stephanie Eason has grown close to many staff members within the school including counselors and teachers because of her wide variety of roles.
Ms. Stephanie Eason – Students Assistance Program Counselor

As one of the specialized counselors in student services, Ms. Eason works very closely with students “socially and emotionally.” She is not a traditional counselor, but frequently “assists counselors with their caseload, speaks with students about their emotional wellbeing, helps kids with anxiety and gets students out of crisis mode.” While she lacks an assigned caseload of students, her work with other counselors ensures she works with a wide variety of students at Green Hope.

In this position, Ms. Eason is responsible for interacting with students more than any other staff member within student services. “I give presentations throughout the year regarding human trafficking and signs of suicide in 9th grade, in healthful living classes and in 12th grade social studies classes.” Her interactions with students aren’t always super serious however, she acts as one of the advisors for Green Hope’s DECA chapter and frequently assists student organizations, especially with endeavors outside of school.

Ms. Stephanie Eason has grown close to many staff members within the school including counselors and teachers because of her wide variety of roles. (Justin Jackson)
Ms Angie. Murrane oftentimes rotates throughout the entire office to aid people who need help.
Ms. Angie Murrane – Receptionist

“I’m the front face of student services and assist kids with whatever they need.” Ms. Murrane typically fulfills hundreds of different roles every day by “acting as a secretary or assistant for any counselors or other members of student services.” In addition to this, her own role encompasses “directing students to their counselors, providing drivers education eligibility, updating our enrichment newsletter, changing addresses for students, holding on to diplomas for students, pretty much any paperwork a student might need.” “I also schedule college visits and speak with a lot of seniors and staff members about prominent universities to bring.” 

Within her role, there are a bunch of different ways Ms. Murrane impacts students every day. “I have to speak with many students who are having emergencies or have had a difficult time. I also will find some other staff members to aid me in the process of helping these kids. I enjoy being in this office so that I can interact with all the students who come into student services looking for my help.”

Ms Angie. Murrane oftentimes rotates throughout the entire office to aid people who need help. (Justin Jackson)
Ms. Cathy Dillon has successfully managed files at Green Hope as a Registrar for over 20 years.
Ms. Cathy Dillon – Registrar

Green Hope has hundreds of thousands of different files, all to be navigated and organized by our wonderful registrar, Ms. Dillon. As part of our school, her role primarily consists of “sending official transcripts, helping to enroll and withdraw students, notarizing or signing ACT and SAT forms, completing social security forms for any 18-year-old students, and keeping files up to date for each student.” 

Despite the immense amount of paperwork that occupies Ms. Dillon in her office, she revealed “I interact through Scrib Online which regards transcripts with universities and students. I also have students ask me for specific things including letters, transcripts and forms then I get to speak with students here face to face,” a fulfilling piece of the essential work she does every day.

Ms. Cathy Dillon has successfully managed files at Green Hope as a Registrar for over 20 years. (Justin Jackson)
Ms. Swati Karve spends most of her time in OSP with major clubs including DECA, Honor Societies, Key Club and HOSA.
Ms. Swati Karve – Bookkeeper

“As a bookkeeper, my job has really nothing to do with any books even though some people think I work like a librarian.” Despite this common misconception, Ms. Karve’s real job resembles that of a finance manager. “I’m one of the people who works to figure out how we should spend the money we receive from the county to run our school and I also keep track of all the purchases we make.”

Managing the school budget might seem like a role that requires constant, behind the scenes work. However, Ms. Karve acts as an ambassador for OSP, the school’s online payment system. “I speak with students whenever they have issues or questions about payments like NHS dues or senior fees. I also get to talk to student organizations or clubs whenever they would like to partake in a service project that costs money or requires forms.” Ms. Karve enjoys working with these groups specifically because they invest both into Green Hope and the community.

Thanks to these five ladies, and plenty of other impactful individuals within student services, Green Hope operates like a well oiled machine. Whether it’s files, forms, budgets or schedules, these staff members act as a major part of the engine for Green Hope, and deserve to be acknowledged for their consistent dedication and hard work.

Ms. Swati Karve spends most of her time in OSP with major clubs including DECA, Honor Societies, Key Club and HOSA. (Justin Jackson)
View Comments (1)
$1000
$1000