Four Healthy Habits to Utilize in 2022

From Yoga to Cooking, These Small Activities Can Make a Big Difference

Naomi Troiano

Junior Anastasia Jeffcoat loves to spend time in nature with her family. This past summer, she went on a long hike in Colorado.

Naomi Troiano, Staff Writer

With second semester in full swing and the new load of classwork kicking in, describing Green Hope Students as ‘overwhelmed’ would be an understatement. Juggling these new classes along with other after-school commitments is difficult and can feel almost impossible at times. It is easy to let the stress, pressure, and expectations of high school consume your entire life, allowing you to neglect your health and mental state. But prioritizing your own health and well-being is incredibly important, and is crucial to living a well-rounded life. When we feel our best, we often perform our best. 

Implementing healthy habits and rituals into your daily life is one way to grow and feel your best. Establishing certain activities and practices in your life, and doing them on a daily basis, can help you achieve a more positive outlook on the world. When you have specific, everyday rituals that you enjoy, you are more likely to look forward to each day. According to UCL News, it takes approximately sixty-six days to create a habit. So, if you are looking to create a habit for this semester that will stick, you’ll want to get started soon. Here are four rituals and habits that you can incorporate into your life today:

Spend Time In Nature

Taking time each day to be outside is one of the most beneficial habits you can implement into your life. It sounds very simple, but it can make a huge difference in both your mental and physical well-being. It is scientifically proven that when a person connects with nature, their serotonin levels are boosted. Serotonin, often referred to as the “happiness hormone,” is a chemical produced in your brain that reduces anxiety and depression. Not only this but spending time in nature can have a calming effect on the mind and can improve mood and focus. There are many different ways that you can spend time outdoors. Of course, there are the typical outdoor activitiesrunning, going on a hike, and biking. Along with these, however, there are plenty of other ways to make time for the outdoors. From having a campfire with friends to simply doing homework in your backyard, the opportunities are endless when it comes to spending time in nature. 

Practice Meditation or Yoga

Yoga and meditation are both incredible ways to connect with your mind and body in a deeper way. They allow you to focus more on the present moment, and can greatly reduce stress and tension. Both of these practices allow you to be more in tune with your thoughts and emotions and can help you be calmer, more intentional, and more intuitive in your daily life. Meditation is the practice of focusing and being aware of one’s breath. It is typically done sitting and can be practiced for just five to ten minutes each day. Yoga involves more movement than meditation, but as with meditation, it puts a great level of emphasis on connecting with the mind. Yoga is a great form of exercise, and can both strengthen the body and improve flexibility. If you have never tried meditation or yoga before and are looking to give it a try, then I suggest finding a video on YouTube to follow along with.

Journal 

Journaling is another rewarding habit that you can incorporate into your life. At first thought, journaling might sound boring or intimidating. It’s easy to buy a journal, but it can be difficult to find the motivation to actually write in it. However, I believe that journaling can be a truly achievable routine when approached correctly. I suggest only journaling for ten to twenty minutes a day at first. I also suggest that you write whatever thoughts come to mind, and allow your journal to be messy and chaotic. When I first started to journal, I would follow a loose prompt or question that I typically found online. I focused on expressing and releasing my thoughts, rather than writing eloquently. If you decide to start journaling, allow yourself to let go of perfection with your writing. 

Cook & Experiment With New Recipes

Junior Shea Sullivan made this smoothie bowl as a quick and easy lunch. (Naomi Troiano)

Finally, cooking and testing out new recipes is a great healthy habit (and hobby) you can develop this semester. I know that for many high-schoolers, it is hard to make time for cooking and creating meals. However, it is important to remember that cooking and trying out new recipes does not have to be a long process. Following a new smoothie-bowl recipe, like Junior Shea Sullivan did in the picture to the left, can take as little as ten minutes.  Plus, cooking allows you to try new food and experiment with different recipes. It can be a fun experience and one that leaves you feeling healthier afterward. 

When we have established healthy routines and habits in our life, we are more prepared for difficult times. We are able to prioritize ourselves over the pressure and expectations of the high-school world. If you try any of these routines or have some of your own that you would like to share, be sure to report it back to the Green Hope Falcon!