Cheers to DECA: Commemorating Green Hope’s 2022 Chapter

Jason Rong, Opinion Editor

Green Hope’s DECA Chapter capped off a great year on May 19th. Twelve students from DECA attended international competitions, and thirty-six went to state competitions in areas of marketing, finance, hospitality, and management. However, these successes didn’t come without hard work.

Mr. Harrison Ray, Business and Marketing teacher and DECA advisor, described the hard work students put in, stating, “throughout the year, members attended numerous workshops and meetings to help prepare them for competition.”

These workshops were made possible by DECA’s dedicated officers. President Nandini Gupta was in charge of the workshops. “We were able to expand the workshop program that we began virtually last year. Creating these workshops took a lot of coordination and organization, but the positive impact on the attendees was clear,” said Gupta.

Creating these workshops took a lot of coordination and organization, but the positive impact on the attendees was clear.

— Nandini Gupta, DECA President

Although members of the program accomplished a lot, they also faced many challenges.  The pandemic prevented the season from running smoothly due to strict COVID-19 policies.

“This year was a big question mark on what would be allowed to do with COVID protocols,” said Mr. Ray

Mr. Katsuleris, Career Development Coordinator and DECA advisor, shared with this sentiment, stating, “It was frustrating because of COVID-19.” In order to minimize the effects of COVID protocols on the season, students had to put in the extra work. “They showed up extra early and competed at the top,” Mr. Ray said, expressing how proud he is of the team. Behind students’ hard work were dedicated advisors who supported them every step of the way. 

The quote, ‘it takes a village to raise a child’ holds true, and I am blessed to be a small part of our student’s journey.

— Mr. Harrison Ray, DECA Advisor

The DECA advisors worked extremely hard to ensure that this was a year of growth for students. Mr. Ray credited Mr. Katsuleris and Mrs. Davis for being there for the team, stating, “DECA wouldn’t be possible without the help of Mr. Katsuleris, Mrs. Davis, and other chaperones who helped at competitions.” Mr. Ray also expressed that he was grateful to be there to witness students’ growth.

“The quote, ‘it takes a village to raise a child’ holds true, and I am blessed to be a small part of our student’s journey,” said Mr. Ray. When asked about teachers who helped out with DECA, Gupta expressed gratitude. “Without their support and guidance throughout the years, Green Hope DECA would not be nearly as successful – or as fun – as it is,” said Gupta. On May 19th, DECA officers coordinated a ceremony to thank everyone who contributed to making this year a success.

DECA members celebrate accomplishments alongside Mr. Ray. (Jason Rong)

In the ceremony, members applauded each other for their accomplishments. Some of their favorite moments from the season were shared through an emotional movie. In the video, members were seen living the moment-laughing, crying, working, and having fun. “The ceremony evoked a sense of pride and a sense of joy. I felt very proud and happy for our students,” said Mr. Katsuleris. 

Before leaving for college, Gupta has some words of advice for students: “I would encourage my peers to keep allowing themselves to think big, even if it seems like something is impossible. A lot of times, with the right support, it’s possible! … All in all, I would say it was a successful DECA season as well as a great senior season. I’ll miss it!”