Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Green Hope security guard, Clyde Smith, poses for a picture as he gets ready to perform his lunchtime duties.
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith
Deepa Ramesh, Zoe Westerlund, and Jason HuangApril 24, 2024
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith

Consequences of the Baltimore bridge collapse

Despite+passing+previous+inspections%2C+the+Dali+cargo+ship+lost+power%2C+crashing+into+the+Francis+Scott+Key+Bridge.+
Y-Nhu Do
Despite passing previous inspections, the Dali cargo ship lost power, crashing into the Francis Scott Key Bridge.

At approximately 1:30 a.m. on March 26, a cargo ship slammed into Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge, causing the bridge to collapse. The 213 million pound ship hit one of the bridge’s columns, sending the structure plummeting into the Patapsco River.

The Dali cargo ship was 985 feet long, which is nearly the same length as the Eiffel Tower. The ship was traveling at 8 knots, or 9 miles per hour, when it collided with the bridge. Before the crash, the ship sent out a mayday call, declaring that it had lost power and was out of control. The mayday provided enough time for officials to block incoming traffic. However, eight construction workers were working on the bridge at the time of the collision, and the mayday call did not provide enough time to evacuate the workers. Two survived with minor injuries, divers found the bodies of two others and the missing four are presumed dead. However, the ship’s crew sustained no major injuries. 

Officials did not identify any significant issues that led to the collision when the cargo ship underwent routine maintenance prior to the collision. External investigators at the state and federal level have concluded that the crash was likely an accident. The ship’s company claimed that it should not be held responsible and is only willing to pay up to the value of the Dali, which cost approximately $43 million. 

The bridge’s collapse blocked ships from entering or leaving the Port of Baltimore, affecting local commerce and port jobs. Without a bridge to maintain or ships traveling through the region, many people were left abruptly unemployed. Meanwhile, multiple small businesses faced supply-chain disruptions, causing the Small Business Administration to declare disaster. The port also served as a major location for importing and exporting automobiles, coal and agricultural equipment, forcing many businesses to relocate after its collapse.

The federal government plans to pay for the costs of cleanup and rebuilding, including debris removal. The government has already approved $60 million to pay for initial costs. While work was delayed by unfavorable weather on April 2, workers continued to dismantle the bridge into sections to be removed by crane. 

While officials remain unsure of when the bridge will reopen to the public, government agencies continue their efforts to clean out the debris and address community concerns.