GHFalcon News 4/26/24
April 26, 2024
Green Hope security guard, Clyde Smith, poses for a picture as he gets ready to perform his lunchtime duties.
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith
Deepa Ramesh, Zoe Westerlund, and Jason HuangApril 24, 2024
Quiz: Which style of prom dress are you?
Regan Orlando, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024
Coach Howell engages in a powerful defensive stance. Howell is embracing change as he leaves the court and brings new players to it through his work. Photo by John Joyner, NC State Technician, 2021. Used by permission.
Wolf to Falcon: Richard Howell named Men's Varsity Basketball Coach
Day in the Life: Mr. Clyde Smith
GHFalcon News 4/26/24
April 26, 2024

Best 2000s romantic comedy movies

Aditi Bhadauria
“13 Going On 30” features actresses Jennifer Garner and Judy Greer. The movie’s total box office was over $96 million.

The 2000s are known for iconic rom-com movies with cliché yet endearing plot points. While these movies often feature strange twists, they always finish with a happy ending. Perfect for this cozy winter season, bundle up and enjoy a flash back to the past with these heartwarming films.

“The Proposal” (2001)

Margaret Tate, editor in chief of a NYC book publisher, faces deportation back to her homeland, Canada. Desperate to stay in her position and New York, Tate coerces her personal assistant, Andrew Paxton, into marrying her for a green card. Paxton agrees to the charade, but has a few conditions of his own, including flying to Alaska to meet his peculiar family. The duo remains together through wedding plans while also facing difficulty from immigration officials constantly hovering over their illegal maneuver. 

“How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” (2003)

Andie Anderson, an advice columnist for TIME magazine, observes her friend’s rather rapid breakup and is inspired to write an article called “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” on how to drive a man away in 10 days using needy, emotional behavior. On the other hand, advertising executive Ben Barry, looks to head a diamond campaign in which he wagers he can make any woman fall in love with him in 10 days. If he is successful, he would earn the diamond campaign account. When Anderson and Barry coincidentally meet at a bar, their love story unfolds over 10 days.

“13 Going On 30” (2004)

It is 1987 and 13-year-old Jenna Rink strives to be popular and keep up with the latest appearances. When her efforts to fit in with the popular crowd fails at her birthday party, the defeated Rink wishes to be “thirty, flirty and thriving.” The next morning, she wakes up in 2004 New York as a 30 -year-old woman, suddenly having to adjust to her dream life as editor of Poise magazine. As the magazine falls behind its rival, Sparkle, Rink realizes that being an adult with a 13-year-old brain introduces new discoveries, relationships and mindsets. Most of all, the situation causes Rink to realize what life was meant to be.

“Mamma Mia!” (2008)

A romantic wedding in the Greek Islands has bride-to-be, Sophie Sheridan, anticipating a walk down the aisle with her dad. The problem now is, which of the three men in her mom’s life 25 years ago is her real dad? Sheridan secretly invites the three men in hopes that one of them could be her real father and fulfill her fairytale wedding. Sheridan finds herself with three paternal figures and in the end, true love only a mother can give.

With winter break approaching, these movies are an essential part of the charming holiday season. Children and adults alike can enjoy both moments of laughter and romantic suspense with these classic 2000s movies.