Spotlight on Halloween safety

Careful Planning Leads to Safe and Exciting Halloween Fun

Bee Felten-Leiden on Unsplash

Halloween is exciting, but it’s also important to stay safe while celebrating.

Joseph Pollard, Staff Writer

The scariest day of the year is nearly upon us, but this time there are much more serious things to be concerned about than ghosts, ghouls and goblins. Over the past few months, North Carolina has gradually become increasingly unrestful, leading to a multitude of concerning incidents. The fentanyl crisis continues to persist, carjackings are frequent and unpredictable, and armed violence remains on the rise. While Halloween is typically a fun night of trick-or-treating, binging horror movies and partying with friends, this year’s Halloween experience remains uncertain. Students who decide to participate in this year’s festivities should abide by the following tips in order to enjoy a safe and exciting evening.

Before leaving, secure your belongings. Make sure that your house is locked and all windows are shut. If you have a home security system or security cameras, double check and make sure that they are online. If you have a car, lock it and keep the keys at home. However, if you are driving somewhere on Halloween night, ensure that the car is locked when you exit and that your keys are safely stored in a sealed pocket. Pockets with zippers or buttons are less susceptible to pickpocketing, as they can alert you to any potential thief’s presence.

Always check your candy. Should you decide to go trick-or-treating this year, you must be especially cautious with what you are consuming. Make sure that all candy wrappers are intact and do not have any tears or modifications, as a torn or damaged wrapper can be a telltale sign that the candy has been laced with something very undesirable. If you don’t recognize a piece of candy you’ve received, your safest bet is to simply discard it. However, if the candy looks similar to a drug, you should take note of who or where you got it from, and turn it in to the police.

Never go out alone. With violence continuing to increase around the state, it would be unwise to go into the darkness of the night by your lonesome. Always bring a friend or two who can keep you safe if necessary. In addition, be sure to stay away from locations and those engaging in suspicious behavior. There is strength in numbers, and Halloween is much more fun when participating with others anyway!

Make sure your phone is fully charged. In the event of an emergency, you will need to contact authorities and your family. Make sure that your cell phone is fully charged and your parents and friends know where you are going to be. For good measure, you should also bring along a portable charger to extend your phone’s battery life.

Share your location with someone you trust. If the need arises and you are in an unsafe situation, sharing your location with a family member or friend can be a life saver. If you have an application on your smartphone such as Find my Friends, be sure to share your location with trusted individuals so they can reach you if needed. Sure, it may not be ideal for the angsty teen who wants to be independent, but sharing one’s location temporarily is much more preferable to being caught up in a dangerous situation that they could have been rescued from.

If you’re going out to party, be sure to bring your own food. As of late, many foodstuffs at events have reportedly been laced with drugs. While it may not be as exciting as the fruit punch and soda provided by the host, bringing your own food and drinks is probably a much safer bet.

Report suspicious activities to the proper authorities. If you see people engaging in shady behavior that is endangering others, report it to the authorities as soon as possible. There is nothing wrong with making sure others are safe, and it doesn’t make you a “loser” or a “nerd.” In fact, it’s very admirable and shows that you have a genuine concern for your community.

No matter what you’re doing to celebrate this Halloween, always remember to be careful with your actions and the places you go. Steer clear of drugs and dangerous activity, and always make sure that someone knows where you are in case of an emergency. By following the aforementioned safety tips and using common sense, students can have a safe but incredibly exciting Halloween night!