Five tips to cruise through the DMV

GH Falcon Staff

An upcoming visit to the DMV can present a variety of questions and uncertainties.

Y-Nhu Do, Student Life Editor

As the school year kicks into high gear, many high school students have their sights set on obtaining a driver’s license. However, many agree that the hardest part of the process is getting through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Lucky for prospective drivers, the Green Hope Falcon has come up with a list of advice when it comes to trips to the DMV. Here are some quick tips to accelerate your DMV process.

Make an appointment online

There is no guarantee that you will get an appointment at the DMV if you choose to walk in. Seemingly never ending lines prevent many from completing the goal of their visit. The easiest way to bypass the long lines at DMVs is to make a reservation online. However, same-day reservations are usually not available. In fact, you may have to make a reservation that is a couple of months out. If you want to go to the DMV on the earliest date possible, it is best to schedule an appointment before you are even eligible to go. You can schedule an appointment here.

Know the good times for walk-ins

If you urgently need to go to the DMV and can’t make a timely appointment, then the next best thing is to go at a less busy time. DMVs usually have less foot traffic in the early mornings (most DMVs open at 8 AM). However, avoid going during lunch (11 AM – 1 PM), because people tend to visit during their free lunch hours. The best days of the week to walk-in are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. 

Make sure it is necessary to go to the DMV

Going to the DMV is not necessary for many driving-related services. You can save yourself time by completing certain processes online. Some online services include:

• Renewing a license
  • Ordering a custom license plate
  • Applying for voter registration
  • Requesting for a driving record

Here is the complete list of online DMV services.

Bring the correct documents

Many people make the mistake of not bringing the correct documents to the DMV. It is important to double check your documents before leaving for the DMV. If you are missing even one of the required documents, you will not be able to achieve the purpose of your visit. Here are some commonly required documents:

• Proof of age and identity: This can be a birth certificate of valid, unexpired passport.
  • Proof of Social Security: This is usually your social security card.
  • Proof of liability insurance: This can be a car insurance policy or a NC certificate of insurance.

Check the reviews for DMVs

Just like restaurants or shops, DMVs also have reviews. Checking the reviews can give you a good idea of which DMV suits you best. Reviews can illustrate many important factors, including the quality of service and length of wait times. You can check Google Maps and Yelp for an extensive critique of DMVs near you.

While going to the DMV can be a stressful experience, knowing the right tricks can make the experience much more enjoyable. You can save time and effort by putting these tips into practice!