Should Chick-Fil-A Breakfast Be Extended?

We Must Rise and Shine for More Options

Brad on Unsplash

Chick-Fil-A is a popular food option for high schoolers, but many feel that breakfast ends too early.

Mason Barish, Opinion & Editorial Editor

Despite being arguably the most popular off-campus spot to eat at for all Green Hope upperclassmen, there is one particular characteristic of Chick-Fil-A that many people have a bone to pick with. 

Before you guess, it isn’t when you want to eat Chick-Fil-A only to find out it’s closed on Sunday. Instead, it’s the time breakfast ends. This source of incessant complaining could probably be listed as one of the leading factors to teenagers waking up early over the weekend, as breakfast ends at 10:30 a.m. If you’re anywhere past five minutes late, kiss those chicken minis goodbye and deal with a regular order. Of course, waking up early any day of the week is something that irks every high schooler, especially in this case when surrounding restaurants like Bojangles or McDonald’s don’t stop serving breakfast until 11 a.m. or past.

So, am I advocating for Chick-Fil-A to extend the time at which it extends breakfast? The simple answer is no. Not to be contrarian, but in general it does not seem like a big enough problem to warrant a change. The only reason I can see from a Green Hope perspective is how bad the traffic rush can get when everyone is desperate to make it to Chick-Fil-A as soon as second period ends. Obviously, this scenario makes the roads more unsafe than they normally are, which is why extending the breakfast time to 11 a.m. in this case would help prevent overcrowding. However, once again, I don’t believe that a single instance of a problem warrants the change of the breakfast time.

In fact, it could be argued that the time allotted for Chick-Fil-A breakfast is generous, as most nutritionists recommend eating breakfast between the hours of seven and ten in the morning. That means that Chick-Fil-A’s 10:30 cutoff time could be considered an extension to that agreed upon interval.

A solution to this problem that doesn’t revolve around me being contrarian would perhaps be designating the breakfast policy to be per-store instead of companywide. That way, if people desired for breakfast to end at a certain time, they could petition the store manager to have it altered. That is a far easier task to accomplish in comparison to trying to get the entire business practice to change. If the store manager still refused to change the time? My suggestion would be to wake up earlier or move on because it really isn’t that big of a deal.