Brij Bhatt (‘25) and Aidan Xu (‘25) heading off the court after a fierce doubles matchup. Photo used with permission from Rafik Khismatov (24).
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Finding plants around you can give be a good source for fresh flowers, especially as they are all blooming late Apr. into May.
Flowers and festivities: May Day
Annabella Monge, Staff Writer • May 1, 2024
Back to back?
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Changbo Lu (‘25) (right center) and Mithu Raghu (‘26) (left center) seen during an intense game at the Triangle Volleyball club. Photo used with permission from Jay Kalidindi (25).
Serving up a strong season: Green Hope men's volleyball club
Max Spiegel, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
Back to back?
Flowers and festivities: May Day
Back to back?
Back to back?
Back to back?
April 30, 2024
Back to back?

December’s must read books

Amna Ahmad
These five books are a great way to getting back into reading for the New Years.

Have you been looking to get back into reading? Look no further! Here are five must-read books for this month representing the best of literature. These five exceptional novels span all genres, periods, and cultures, and are guaranteed to leave the reader with a new perspective. 

The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet

Summary: Set in the later half of the twentieth century, The Vanishing Half is centered around two light-skinned black girls born and raised in a small town called Mallard. They both escape Mallard together at the age of 15 but upon escaping, they part ways and live separate lives. Desiree marries a dark-skinned black man and has a daughter with him, and eventually moves back to Mallard after the birth of her daughter. Stella, the other twin, passes as white and marries a wealthy white man. The novel follows their lives across generations, and by a stroke of fate, their paths intertwine more. 

GH Falcon Review: 9/10

The Vanishing Half offers a completely new perspective on what we perceive as race in today’s society. Set in the later half of the 1900’s this book was a highly emotive read, with the author’s creativity showing at each step. 

Trust by Hernan Diaz

Summary: Trust by Hernan Diaz is a Pulitzer-Prize-winning collection of short stories, with each one following the lives of ultra-wealthy financier Andrew Bevel and his ghastly rise to financial fortune in the 1920s.

GH Falcon Review: 8/10

Trust is an enjoyable read, with Diaz writing about a topic we generally see only in history classes (The Great Depression). Rather than talking about who suffered in that time, Diaz spins the story and weaves an enchanting tale about the rich who got richer. 

The Covenant of Water, Abraham Verghese 

Summary: The Covenant of Water follows the unusual life of a bride in Kerala, India during the 1920s. The bride marries into a family with an unusual affliction – with every generation in her husband’s family having someone drown to death. 

GH Falcon Review: 8/10

The Covenant of Water tells us a story about the side of India we don’t always hear about. Christian Indians and Anglo-Indians. Verghese’s storytelling is captivating – at every step of the way, the reader feels like they are living the tale Verghese is telling.

The Guest List by Lucy Foley

Movie star Will Slater and socialite Jules Keegan host their extravagant wedding at an abandoned island off the coast of Scotland. Everything seems to be going right, until one of the guests is murdered, the power goes out, and everyone’s secrets start spilling out. 

GH Falcon Review: 7/10

Narrated with the perspectives of multiple people from the wedding planner to the bride herself, this is a mystery that is guaranteed to keep you intrigued until the very last page. Author Lucy Foley crafts a narrative of suspense that is hard to replicate, and the twists and turns in this novel are completely unexpected. 

Circe by Madeline Miller

Summary: “Circe” by Madeline Miller is a captivating retelling of Greek mythology that focuses on the character Circe, the enchantress best known for turning Odysseus’ men into pigs in Homer’s “The Odyssey.” Miller brings Circe to life, exploring her journey from an ignored and scorned nymph to a powerful sorceress on the isolated island of Aiaia.

GH Falcon Review: 9/10

Miller’s reimagination of Greek mythology through the female lens is a literary triumph. Circe’s journey from a neglected, unwanted and unloved nymph to a formidable sorceress is an exceptional example of self-determination and empowerment. This novel is a masterful blend of classical literature with a modern twist.