A messy workstation can make simple jobs much more difficult as more time is spent looking for resources rather than carrying out the job. Photo used with permission from Alexander Grey via Unsplash.
Getting it together: online organizational tools
Tri Do, Staff Writer • May 8, 2024
TikTok will be forced to sell their company to an American company or face a ban across the United States.
Time is up for TikTok
Leo McDunn, Staff Writer • May 8, 2024
With the weather warming, flower fields across the Triangle begin to bloom. Whether you would like to take pictures, pick flowers, shop organic products or simply take a stroll through picturesque nature, the Triangle has got a place for you!
Trips in the Triangle: Flower fields
Alan Shr, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024
Corinne Isaacs (25) and Ivana Gomez (25) after finishing the 200m dash, placing first and third. Picture used with permission from Coach Julie Ross.
Green Hope outdoor track & field takes on the SWAC Conference meet
Miguel Carrasco Gomez, Staff Writer • May 6, 2024
Brij Bhatt (‘25) and Aidan Xu (‘25) heading off the court after a fierce doubles matchup. Photo used with permission from Rafik Khismatov (24).
Back to back?
Jason Huang, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Tri Do, Staff Writer • May 8, 2024
Time is up for TikTok
Leo McDunn, Staff Writer • May 8, 2024
Trips in the Triangle: Flower fields
Alan Shr, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024
Back to back?
Back to back?

An eye-opening experience

Aaron James received the world’s first full eye transplant. Some say that it’s a breakthrough that opens new doors in ophthalmology and organ transplantation.
The+surgery+took+21+hours+in+total+and+began+at+9%3A41+a.m.%2C+Nov.+9.+Photo+used+with+permission+from+Akram+Huseyn+via+Unsplash.+
The surgery took 21 hours in total and began at 9:41 a.m., Nov. 9. Photo used with permission from Akram Huseyn via Unsplash.

On Nov. 9, the first full eye transplant in the world was performed. The transplantation consisted of replacing James’ full left eye and a portion of the donor’s face.  

The recipient of the transplant was Aaron James, a 46-year-old who worked in the military and was in a high-voltage accident that destroyed half of his face. The high-voltage accident caused James pain to the extent that the doctor had to put him in a medically induced coma and amputate his left arm and left eye. 

The doctors told him that he would get surgery on the left side of his face as it was destroyed in the accident. This incident captured the attention of the New York University Langone Health and they proposed an entire eye transplant instead. 

Though the eye transplant came with the same risks that other organ transplants posed, James accepted the proposal. Three months later, a donor who agreed to donate an eye for James was found.

The surgery was held on May 27 and finished on May 28 and after the surgery, James had to stay hospitalized for 17 days. During the surgery, over 140 surgeons attended to participate in the surgery. There were two groups that the surgeons were split into: one group removed James’ face parts that would be replaced with the donors, and the other group removed the donor’s eyeball to give to James.

To attach the eyeball to James’ face, surgeons injected adult stem cells into James’ optic nerve. This helped regenerate the optic nerve and help fuse the eye to the brain.

The surgery succeeded and the eye was successfully transplanted into Aaron James’ face. Unfortunately, James can still not see out of the transplanted eye, but doctors say that over time, the nerves connecting the eyes to the brain may recover enough to allow James to see again. 

Doctors continue to monitor James’ state as he recovers as the success of this operation is considered an accomplishment in both Ophthalmology and organ transplantation.