Stars of Green Hope: Teachers of the Year finalists

Teacher of the Year is always a special award for the members of Green Hope’s staff to be recognized for their continuous contributions to the school. The nominees for the award continue to make Green Hope a special place for all, making them strong contenders for the award!
Mr. Mayse works hard daily to ensure the success of all his students and the GH Falcon as a whole.
Mr. Matt Mayse

Mr. Mayse is an English teacher at Green Hope, currently teaching both English four and Leadership in Media.  This is his 16th year teaching and he plans on teaching for many more. Mr. Mayse has always wanted to be a teacher, realizing this aspiration at 15 years old thanks to the many influential teachers he had in high school. Mr. Mayse has always found literature to be a fascinating subject and has always enjoyed exploring the discipline in deeper depths. His favorite memory of Green Hope was being able to help one of his students achieve their dream of being the first in their family to walk the stage at graduation and holds that memory in a special place in his heart. He enjoys being a part of the Green Hope community because of its rich collaborative nature. He especially loves the diversity of the student body – an aspect that excites him every day as a teacher. Outside of the classroom, Mr. Mayse enjoys reading, going on dinner dates with his wife and watching movies. He is honored to have been nominated along with a “company of greatness” and is eternally grateful to have been selected as the 2023-2024 teacher of the year.

Mr. Mayse works hard daily to ensure the success of all his students and the GH Falcon as a whole. (Deepa)
Ms. Kovalaske is a well-known math teacher at Green Hope, and also helped out to organize Workkeys testing to ensure the students at Green Hope would find success in their future.
Ms. Laura Kovalaske

Ms. Laura Kovalaske is a Mathematics teacher at Green Hope High School. She currently teaches AP Calculus AB and BC as well as AP Precalculus. She also previously taught Honors Precalculus. Ms. Kovalaske has been teaching for 27 years, first at Ravenscroft School in Raleigh NC before settling down at Green Hope. Her favorite thing about the GH community is the diversity of the student body and the bustling environment it fosters, “never allowing for a dull moment” as she said herself. Mrs. Kovalaske’s favorite memory at Green Hope thus far is the NHS Thanksgiving project, and seeing the efforts of the members to bring together common household kitchen and hygiene products in kits to give to Dorcas Ministries. “It’s neat to see how it comes together, “ Mrs. Kovalaske expressed. Outside of school, you can catch Ms. Kovalaske spending time with her family, going to her daughter’s softball games and relaxing.  She’s honored to be nominated, and appreciates being seen for all the behind the scenes work that she does. 

Ms. Kovalaske is a well-known math teacher at Green Hope, and also helped out to organize Workkeys testing to ensure the students at Green Hope would find success in their future. (Deepa Ramesh)
Ms. Andrus works closely with the GH Falcon and her students to create weekly broadcasts, allowing students to stay informed about events around school.
Ms. Catherine Andrus

Ms. Andrus is the Film and Video teacher here at Green Hope High School, and this is her 5th year teaching. However, Ms. Andrus didn’t always have her eyes set on teaching, and actually worked in the video industry in Los Angeles for several years before being inspired to start a career in teaching by a former Green Hope teacher, Mr. Adams. After reaching out to Mr. Adams to learn more about his experience and later filling in his position as the film teacher, Ms. Andrus fell in love with teaching and the Green Hope community. Her most favorite thing about the Green Hope is how excited and passionate students are to learn and explore within the realm of video and film. “I expressed last year that I wanted to begin the broadcast news show, and my students jumped up to make it happen,”  she recounted. Her favorite memory at Green Hope thus far are the special programs her Advanced studies class feature on the news broadcast such as the Thanksgiving cooking special, the winter gingerbread competition, and her personal favorite, the features with Mr. Gaw. “I love to see how my students develop over the years and the creative things they come up with,” she reflected. Mrs. Andrus loves to spend time with her family, co-workers and her dog. She can be seen watching a plethora of movies and TV shows with her favorites being “Dirty Dancing”, “Grease” and the “Fast and Furious” series. Mrs. Andrus appreciates being nominated for all of her work for the GH Falcon and the news broadcast, and is grateful to be recognized within the Green Hope community.

Ms. Andrus works closely with the GH Falcon and her students to create weekly broadcasts, allowing students to stay informed about events around school. (Deepa Ramesh)

The efforts of the Green Hope faculty are always appreciated, and nominations such as Teacher of the Year proudly recognize faculty and staff that go above and beyond within their daily endeavors. Congratulations to the three nominees, and a special shout out to Mr. Mayse for being selected as the 2023-2024 teacher of the year!