The next time the cicadas will emerge like this won’t take place until the year 2245. Photo used with permission from Sagar Vasnani via Unsplash.
Rare cicada emergence event occurs across the U.S.
Max Spiegel, Features Editor • May 31, 2024
2024: Summer playlist
2024: Summer playlist
Valentina Garcia and Mason ClineMay 31, 2024
Concerts are a central part of a night out upon which other events should be based off of.
Summer concerts to look forward to
Armaan Minhas, Staff Writer • May 31, 2024
Top five moments from Green Hope Athletics 2023-24
Mason Dean, Sports Editor • May 31, 2024
Team photo of the men’s varsity baseball team after a tough game against Cary High, ultimately winning with the final score of 12-10. Photo taken with permission from Roshan Shoukat (25).
Bringing it home
Zoe Westerlund, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024
2024: Summer playlist
2024: Summer playlist
Summer concerts to look forward to
Bringing it home
Bringing it home
2024: Summer playlist
2024: Summer playlist
Valentina Garcia and Mason Cline May 31, 2024
Summer concerts to look forward to
Bringing it home
Bringing it home
2024: Summer playlist
2024: Summer playlist
Summer concerts to look forward to
Bringing it home

Hidden wonders: North Carolina’s Parks

Government-operated+parks+offer+scenic+vacation+spots+for+locals+who+are+looking+for+a+cheap+and+accessible+summer+trip.+
Y-Nhu Do
Government-operated parks offer scenic vacation spots for locals who are looking for a cheap and accessible summer trip.

As the summer approaches, many are looking for a chance to go outdoors. Although going to the local beach or hopping on a plane to another country can be attractive options, spending an afternoon hiking in a national or state park can be just as rewarding. For those looking for a nearby vacation spot, North Carolina houses a variety of parks for people to enjoy. Here’s a list of the top parks in the state, curated by the GH Falcon. 

Blue Ridge Parkway 

One of the most scenic paths to hike on – and the most popular – in North Carolina is Blue Ridge Parkway. The parkway connects the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia and the Smoky Mountains in North Carolina, which experienced hikers can traverse for a challenge. The full pathway runs for 469 miles, but over half of runs in North Carolina. For those looking for quick stops to admire on the Parkway, Blue Ridge has many beautiful spots including Crabtree Falls, Linn Cove Viaduct and Craggy Gardens. The span of the Parkway has many gorgeous sights to see, including hiking trails, waterfalls and overlooks. 

Parks can also be locations of historical significance, allowing visitors to engage with immersive stories of the past. (Y-Nhu Do)

Great Smoky Mountains National Park 

Sitting on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina is the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Known by name for its immense popularity across the United States, the Smoky Mountains boasts over 900 miles of hiking trails and historic sites, currently labeled as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Great Smoky Mountains are known for its rich biodiversity of flora and fauna, which is carefully preserved by government agencies and private organizations. 

Moore’s Creek National Battlefield 

Moore’s Creek National Battlefield is more than a hiking spot: it has historical significance. In February 1776, the North Carolina Patriots defeated a group of Loyalists in the Battle of Moore’s Creek Bridge as part of the Revolutionary War. This battle is known as one of the most significant victories for Americans in the Revolution, and visitors at Moore’s Creek have the opportunity to explore the history of the battle, as well as enjoy a short one-mile trail. 

Chimney Rock State Park 

Housed in Rutherford County – 25 miles Southeast of Asheville – is Chimney Rock State Park, a North Carolina State Park that offers some of the most vibrant mountain sceneries in the Southeast. Chimney Rock overlooks Hickory Nut Gorge and Lake Lure and visitors can hike to Hickory Nut Falls and take an elevator to climb to the top of the park’s namesake, a 315-foot rock spire. Along the way, visitors can take in the beautiful environment and scenic views of Chimney Rock. 

These parks offer great opportunities to bond with friends and family while also immersing yourself in the beauty that surround you. If you’re looking for an affordable and immersive summer getaway, a state or national park is the way to go.