The next time the cicadas will emerge like this won’t take place until the year 2245. Photo used with permission from Sagar Vasnani via Unsplash.
Rare cicada emergence event occurs across the U.S.
Max Spiegel, Features Editor • May 31, 2024
2024: Summer playlist
2024: Summer playlist
Valentina Garcia and Mason ClineMay 31, 2024
Concerts are a central part of a night out upon which other events should be based off of.
Summer concerts to look forward to
Armaan Minhas, Staff Writer • May 31, 2024
Top five moments from Green Hope Athletics 2023-24
Mason Dean, Sports Editor • May 31, 2024
Team photo of the men’s varsity baseball team after a tough game against Cary High, ultimately winning with the final score of 12-10. Photo taken with permission from Roshan Shoukat (25).
Bringing it home
Zoe Westerlund, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024
2024: Summer playlist
2024: Summer playlist
Summer concerts to look forward to
Bringing it home
Bringing it home
2024: Summer playlist
2024: Summer playlist
Valentina Garcia and Mason Cline May 31, 2024
Summer concerts to look forward to
Bringing it home
Bringing it home
2024: Summer playlist
2024: Summer playlist
Summer concerts to look forward to
Bringing it home

Summer 2024: New movies

As school ends, a lot more time is open for watching movies. Summer is known for its blockbusters, and this summer is surely packed with plenty that range across genres! Photo used with permession from Henry & Co. via Unsplash

As we head into summer, the film industry is gearing up for the releases of highly anticipated movies, sure to captivate audiences. With a diverse range of genres within these releases, there is something for everyone to look forward to in the coming months. Summer is known for big blockbuster films, and the 2024 lineup presents promising and exciting movies– here are some of the biggest film releases this summer!

Inside Out 2: The long awaited sequel to the 2015 animated hit film “Inside Out” will release in theaters on June 14. The film will follow the main character of the first film, Riley, as she enters her teenage years and deals with new and complicated emotions associated with adolescence. Since the previous emotions, being Joy, Sadness, Disgust, Anger and Fear, had been running a successful operation, their reactions quickly begin to sour when new emotions begin to take over. The film will feature the debut of the characters Envy, Ennui (boredom), Embarrassment, Nostalgia and Anxiety, voiced by iconic actors like Maya Hawke, Amy Poehler and Ayo Edebiri. 

A Quiet Place: Day One: Being the first in the “A Quiet Place” franchise not directed by John Krasinski, this spinoff to the massively successful thriller series will release on June 27. The film will be set before “A Quiet Place” and “A Quiet Place: Part II,” and will follow the story of the fateful day when the Death Angel creatures first arrived on Earth, causing the entire world to go silent. The movie will star Lupita Nyong’o and Joseph Quinn, and will be directed by Michael Sarnoski. 

The film will be directed by Chris Renaud, the director of the first two films of the franchise.
Justin Lim via Unsplash

Despicable Me 4: The newest installment of the “Despicable Me” franchise follows Gru and Lucy, who after introducing a new member of their family, Gru Jr., face off against a criminal mastermind by the name of Maxime Le Mal. “Despicable Me 4” will release on July 3, and will introduce Will Ferrel and Sofia Vergara to the already star-studded voice cast. Given the success of the previous installment, “Minions: The Rise of Gru,” the film will most likely be a hit at the summer box office.

Alien: Romulus: Set between the timelines of Ridley Scott’s “Alien” and James Cameron’s follow up “Aliens,” this brand new take on the Alien franchise from Fede Alvarez, director of “Evil Dead” and “Don’t Breathe,” will be released on August 16. While not much is known about the plot, the movie will provide a unique twist on the beloved horror franchise, relying on mostly practical effects for the alien designs. The film will star Cailee Spaeny, coming off of the success of her performance as Priscilla Presley in “Priscilla.”

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F: Forty years after the release of the highest grossing film in 1984, Eddie Murphy returns to the role of Axel Foley on July 3, in “Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F.” The story of the film will revolve around Foley’s daughter’s life being threatened, causing him to team up with a new partner to put a stop to it. The successful comedy movie series will stream directly to Netflix and will feature Kevin Bacon, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Paul Reiser as new members of the cast.

The Crow (2024): Released 30 years after the original film starring Brandon Lee, the remake featuring Bill Skarsgård will be released on August 23 in theaters. The storyline from both the original film and the new film, as well as the graphic novel will be centered around Eric Draven and his soulmate Shelly Webster, who are both tragically killed. Eric, after being revived by a supernatural crow, seeks out revenge for the people who wronged him and caused the death of his girlfriend. Alongside Bill Skarsgård, the cast of the movie also includes stars like FKA Twigs, Danny Houston and Jordan Bolger. 

This summer, comedy and action movie “Deadpool & Wolverine” will come to theaters, following the story of iconic Marvel Comics characters played by Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman
Jack O’Rourke via Unsplash

Deadpool & Wolverine: Being the only film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) to come out in 2024, audiences will finally see Ryan Reynolds’ wise cracking Deadpool team up with Hugh Jackman’s heroic Wolverine in “Deadpool & Wolverine.” While not much from the film’s plot had been revealed, the movie will explore the multiversal aspects of the Marvel franchise, specifically from the 20th Century Fox X-Men films. The film will be released on July 26.

From thriller to comedy, horror to superhero, the movie lineup for this summer remains strong and promising. Now that the school year has come to a close, more time will be available to enjoy all the biggest movies of the summer with friends and family!