Letters from the editors: Thank you Mr. Mayse

Lucas:

Mr. Mayse,

Thank you for your dedication to The Falcon for the past two years. Under your leadership, Green Hope’s journalism program has truly flourished. You have taken us from a little-read Google Site to a nationally ranked journalism program, and I’m incredibly thankful for the care, energy, and excitement you bring to the class every day. 

During the early portion of my junior year, I truly wondered whether or not to continue with the class. Our content wasn’t being read, and our abilities to report news and get interviews were limited. You changed the entire environment of the class, and have constantly pushed us to achieve our best. I couldn’t be happier that I stuck with the class.

You’ve made my time in Leadership in Media a meaningful experience that I will never forget. 

Thank you,

Lucas Moore

Noreen:

Mr. Mayse,

I can’t believe it’s already been a year and a half as your student in Leadership in Media. When we were first told that you’d be our new teacher, I remember feeling nervous and worried about what that would mean for our ability to publish articles that truly expressed who we are as students. 

Here we are three semesters later and I can proudly say that I was entirely wrong. You took on the role of not only a class adviser for a group of students you had never spoken to, but you also filled the role of a mentor and friend to each and every one of us. Since the restart of the class, you’ve continued to vouch for us to other teachers, administrators, students and organizations within and outside of Green Hope. You’ve motivated us to take on new challenges beyond journalism, and you’ve also been there throughout all the ups and downs that come with being high school students. But more importantly, you’ve enabled us to write about what we love and care about (minus the occasional random assignments).

Thank you for always taking the time and energy to think and care for us. You’ve redefined what dedication means, and your willingness to constantly work overtime to ensure that our work is not only published but also valued encourages me to do more daily. There truly aren’t enough words to describe how appreciative I am for you, and while I’m sad that this is my last year on the Green Hope Falcon, I can’t wait to see all the amazing things you and your future students accomplish in the coming years. 

Best regards,

Noreen Mohamed

Lexie:

Dear Mr. Mayse,

I can not truly verbalize my appreciation for the mentorship and friendship you have shown me. Amidst our time together in AP Lit and LIM, I have learned so much about how to be a better writer, student, and overall person. Knowing that you believe in your students completely has meant so much and has helped me become comfortable with trying new things. I joined the GH Falcon with fairly low expectations, mainly preparing for it to just be another class to work in, but instead I found a miniature family. The environment you have created for us is a safe place and I am so thankful for that. I know you’ll say that it is us, the students, who succeeded in this, but we could not have done it without your example.

As I move towards college, I know I will carry the values you have taught us with me. I will certainly be back to visit, and I’m sure that I will see the same determined, creative, and successful GH Falcon that I know and love. While this may be redundant, I must reiterate my overwhelming appreciation for you as my teacher and friend. I am so excited to see what the future holds in store for you and the Falcon family. If I hear of any newsworthy stories from Boston, I’ll give you a shout!

Forever a falcon,

Lexie Davila

Aarushi:

Mr. Mayse, 

Thank you for being an incredible teacher for these past two years. You have been so supportive to everyone in the class and have always pushed to give us everything we need. You have helped make us better writers, editors and created an amazing environment for anyone who enters your class. Not only is this class a fun and friendly space, but it has given us a creative outlet and a myriad of opportunities for the future. 

Your constant willingness to push us is what makes you such an excellent advisor, mentor and overall inspiration to anyone who is lucky enough to be your student. I have never before seen someone as passionate about teaching. The amount of care you put into this class is exceptional and it has helped me thrive as a writer and a student.

Thank you for making Leadership in Media a beautiful and memorable high school experience.

Thank you,

Aarushi

Zeba:

Mr. Mayse,

Words cannot express how incredibly grateful I am for you. You are not only a great teacher and mentor, but you are also an amazing role model and inspire me to work harder everyday. Your passion and dedication to The Falcon is absolutely phenomenal and if it weren’t for you, we would not be where we are right now. You always say “it wasn’t me, it was all of you guys,” but we all agree that we would not be here without you. Your genuine care and concern for us goes beyond the classroom and I am so thankful for a teacher like you in my life. Thank you for entrusting me with The GH Falcon next year and for helping me become the writer and person I am today. Though I will miss the dynamic amongst this year’s editors, I can only imagine the amazing things we will do in the future. I hope to lead us to another year of success and to make you proud. Thanks for everything!

Sincerely, 

Zeba 

Neely:

Mr. Mayse, 

It’s hard to believe the class of students who played games in class everyday for an entire quarter is now nationally ranked number two in the country. We have you to thank for that. Because of you, we were able to reach more than any of us ever thought we were capable of. Thank you for your dedication, perseverance, and for always being there for us no matter what. 

You’ve never failed to help everyone find their role and place in your class, and that is something not many teachers can do. Thank you for everything you’ve done for me and the GH Falcon. I am so proud to be a part of this legacy and it is so exciting to think that this year was just the beginning. Thank you. 

p.s. thanks for never marking Amaya and I tardy even though we were late to third every single day 🙂

– Neely 

Amaya:

Dear Mr. Mayse,

Thank you for being the most genuine teacher and putting your whole heart into this class. It is unreal how just two years ago The GH Falcon did not even have a SNO website. All the hard work you have put into Leadership in Media has shown through and has made Green Hope a much more lively place. 

Before this class, I was not involved with the school, but now I am able to leave knowing that I have impacted students and teachers through The GH Falcon. I will forever appreciate the care you have for us all in this class and will compare my future teachers to you hoping they put as much emotion into their job as you do.

Thank you for building this amazing community, which I will forever look back to.

Amaya