Blending Music and Art: Painted Piano

Green Hope’s functional Painted Piano “Singing Lillies” at Green Hope Elementary Park until the winter months (Susan Alexander)

Yan Zimnitskaya, Staff Writer

The seasonal piano dubbed as Singing Lilies, a semester’s worth of work and painting was finally released to the world on May 9th 2023. Green Hope’s National Art Honor Society (NAHS) received the piano in late November, embarking on a journey of teamwork, dedication and creativity. 

At the beginning of the process, the piano was sanded down to make it smooth and sticky enough for the paint. The wood was then painted with a white coat in order to create an even base for other colors. After the initial preparations, NAHS members began sketching their designs on the piano and painted over them.

Along the way, the members got closer together while learning how to paint on furniture. NAHS member Prisha Lodhia (‘23) was one of the key members who contributed to their creation. She touched on her experience with her fellow members. 

“It was a community piece we all gathered around to complete this one thing. We put all of our minds together to create a wonderful masterpiece for the community itself,” she said.

Katerina Dimov (‘23) was another prominent member who brought insight and talent to the project. She added, “The [National Art Honor] Society was brought closer as we met numerous times to complete the piano… while we learned more about one another through conversation, we made sure to stay incredibly focused.”

The idea of decorated pianos has been done throughout the country, even in neighboring towns such as Greenville, North Carolina. Cary Visual Art director Susan Alexander, the coordinator of this project, said “We loved the idea of combining visual art with something that was interactive. 

While the piano’s main goal is to display the student’s art skills, it also showcases artistic and musical talent. The pianos contribute to the beauty of their surroundings, inspire conversation, promote play, and provide something fun for all. The piano is only available in summer and fall.

The NAHS is proud of their work, and that it can be viewed by anyone in the Town of Cary. “For me it was such an honor to be in NAHS to have a piece that was dedicated to the community. I feel like that’s what [it] is all about in the art community overall: to have a piece from the students.” said Prisha. After nearly a semester’s worth of work, the piano is finally complete.

This project brought together everyone involved. In a time of major uncertainty in the country, amidst a recession and instability, a small sliver of hope was formed. The piano unites everyone around it. Not only through the music that it brings, but the love and dedication that went into it.