Green Hope Jazz Band Opens the Season in Style

Jazz Band displays their dedication on Wednesday night’s first concert of the season.

Arianna Bennett

Green Hope’s Jazz Band performs at their concert last Wednesday.

Arianna Bennett, Staff Writer

Green Hope’s Jazz Band showcased their incredible hard work and some lovely tunes on Wednesday night’s performance. Although the lively performance lasted for less than half an hour, many hours went into perfecting these pieces. Auditions for Jazz Band started around winter break and rehearsal times went through January and February. The band dedicated not only the hours of 4:15-5:15 on Mondays and Wednesdays to ensure perfection, but also used their free time to practice their pieces.

Jazz music, a style that was founded in America, allows for more improvisation and character in the music. Mr. Barley, the Jazz Band instructor, stated “I try to teach them the history, where it started, how we’ve gotten here and kind of infuse that.” Teaching his students the importance of the music as well as how to pay respect to those that came before them allows for a richer experience for the audience.

“I try to teach them the history, where it started, how we’ve gotten here and kind of infuse that.”

— Mr. Barley

Also, working within the time constraints that they had, he trusted his students to put in the extra work for this performance. Working as a group for roughly 16 hours and then spending the necessary extra time outside of school really shows the excellent work ethic and passion these students have.

The students are able to dedicate themselves not only because of their passion for performing, but because they like the style of music that they are playing. Mallory Wadsack-Stewart, a trumpet player, stated “I really like playing jazz music because it’s something you can tap your foot to” She went onto to say “You gotta be in the music to know that you’re playing in the right place but it’s fun and the adrenaline helps.”  While these concerts may be a little nerve racking, the enjoyment and smooth music makes it all the more enjoyable and these students don’t mind practicing for something that they love.

“I really like playing jazz music because it’s something you can tap your foot to

— Mallory Wadsack-Stewart

The combined dedication and time from both sides is evident in their performances and can be appreciated from all sides. The Jazz band worked under different conditions this year due to COVID and still managed to put everything together. These musicians should definitely be commended on their work and for persevering through. Bravo!